Start typing and hit "Enter" to search.
What Documents Do I Need for a Spouse Visa?

What Documents Do I Need for a Spouse Visa?

The process of applying for a UK Family Visa as a partner or spouse is one which requires careful planning, plenty of time, and lots of evidence to support your application. Rushing to submit an application which is not complete, incorrect, or where the documents provided do not meet the requirements defined by the Home Office, is a recipe for frustration and delay, and possibly even refusal.

Can I apply for a Family Visa as a partner or spouse?

Spouses and partners of British citizens or individuals who are settled in the UK can apply for a spouse visa to join or remain with them in the UK. Depending on your circumstances, you may need to a) apply to enter the UK from another country (as known as 'leave to enter'), b) apply from within the UK ('leave to remain'), or c) if you have already been in the UK on a spouse visa for five years or more you may apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

You may see reference to Appendix FM (FM stands for 'family member') and Appendix FM SE (SE stands for 'specified evidence'), both of which outline the detailed rules which must be met by those applying for a spouse Visa or extension.

In order to apply, you will need to satisfy the following requirements:

  • Both you and your partner must be 18 years old or over
  • Your spouse must be a British citizen, settled in the UK, or have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • You must both be in a civil partnership visa or marriage recognised in the UK
  • You must have been living together in a relationship for at least two years prior to applying.
  • Have the required knowledge of the English Language
  • Meet the financial requirements
  • You may also be eligible to apply if you meet other criteria, e.g. if you have a child in the UK who is a British citizen or they have been in the country for seven or more years.

Following your application, if successful, you will likely be granted limited leave to remain for 2.5 years (30 months). You will then need to apply for an extension before the 30-month period expires. Once you reach the five-year point on a spousal Visa, you will then be eligible to apply for ILR (indefinite leave to remain).

Proof of eligibility when applying for a spouse Visa

Several documents will need to be submitted with your spouse Visa application, including:

  • your current passport or other valid travel ID
  • copies of the photo page and any visa or entry stamps in your previous passports
  • your biometric residence permit (if relevant)
  • letters showing previous immigration applications you've made
  • criminal convictions
  • tuberculosis test results (if you're from a country where you have to take the test)
  • certified translations of any document that is not in English or Welsh

In addition to the above evidence, you will need to satisfy the Home Office that you meet the financial requirement (i.e. minimum income). To do so, you will need to submit documents demonstrating that you and your partner have a combined annual income of £29,000 or more. The documents you will need to send to the Home Office will depend on the source of income. If you are relying on income from employment, you will need to send:

  • bank statements showing you or your partner's income
  • 6 months of payslips
  • a letter from an employer, dated and on headed paper

The letter from your employer must confirm that:

  • you or your partner are employed by the employer
  • job title or position
  • duration of employment
  • type of employment contract (e.g. permanent, fixed-term)
  • earning before tax and National Insurance
  • how long you or your partner have been paid your current salary
  • the payslips provided are genuine

If your financial situation is complex, it is recommended to either seek legal advice from an immigration lawyer or to review the detailed guidance provided by the Home Office outlining the financial requirements for family migration. Your finances may be more complex if you have a variable income, or you receive income other than from employment (e.g. share dividends, property rental, or maintenance grants etc.).

Evidence of cash savings

Cash savings of over £16,000 can be counted towards your annual income. In order to do so, you will need to submit bank statements showing the cash savings in an account held by you or your spouse for at least six months prior to the application being made.

Income from self-employment

If the applicant's partner receives an income from self-employment, it will be necessary to submit documents which show income for the last full financial year, or an average of the last two financial years. Income from self-employment can be combined with income from salaried and non-salaried employment, pension income, and non-employment income as appropriate. The documents required as evidence will vary depending on the type of self-employment. For sole-traders, partnerships, and franchises, evidence of tax payable, annual self-assessment to HMRC, and an SA300 or SA302 will be required, in addition to other information. Directors of a limited company will need to submit a Company Tax Return CT600, evidence of company registration, and annual financial accounts, an addition to other evidence.

Final words

The documents to be included within your family visa as a spouse will depend on your precise circumstances. It is important that you only submit the documents which you are asked to send (which will be outlined when you make your application), and that these meet the criteria provided. However, if you are in any doubt as to which documents to send, or whether the documents you have will meet the requirements of the Home Office, do seek expert advise from our experienced immigration solicitors as early as possible. Doing so will ensure your application for a Spouse Visa has the best chance of success and will remove the likelihood of delays, problems, or refusal.

Some of our Happy Client
  • Samsung Logo
  • TM LEWIN Logo
  • Automation Logic Logo
  • Jurassic Fibre Logo

Reiss Edwards Awards

Global Awards 2018
Lexis Nexis
Three Best Rated
Department for international awards
University of Cambridge Awards
Lexology Award Q1 2021

Mumu Belal

This was my first time using Reiss Edwards and I had a great experience with them, our solicitor was Zarish Aslam. Zarish was very attentive, organised, and a good communicator. Overall I am very happy with their service and wholeheartedly recommend their services.

Mohamed Mansour

"Reiss Edwards provides professional services. The team is a world-class team with great experience.

Ms Zarish is one of the best consultants at Reiss Edwards who has great knowledge and extensive experience.

Totally recommended!"

Simon Daniels

Absolutely amazing!! We were told our application wasn't possible with numerous other immigration attorneys. Thank you to Ben Inigo-Jones and Kader Gulbahce for all their support with our children's application for citizenship. You made the impossible, possible. We received their citizenship in under 3 months and couldn't be happier. Thank you from the Daniels Family

Simran Luthra

Amazing service from Baris, very informative and polite! 10/10

Reiss Edwards Reviews

Mumu Belal

This was my first time using Reiss Edwards and I had a great experience with the...

Read More

Mohamed Mansour

Reiss Edwards provides professional services. The team is a world-class team wit...

Read More

Simon Daniels

Absolutely amazing!! We were told our application wasn't possible with numerous ...

Read More

Simran Luthra

Amazing service from Baris, very informative and polite! 10/10

Read More