How To Renew An Expired Biometric Residence Permit Card (BRP)
Renewing an expired visa will depend on the type of leave to remain you have; if you are in the UK, it is best to speak with immigration solicitors to discuss your options. The expiry date on your visa is usually the same as your BRP expiry date which means you will have to apply to extend your visa to be able to get a new Biometric Residence Permit.
You can make use of the BRP replacement service from within the UK if you have the Indefinite leave to remain. If you are outside the UK, you will not be able to make use of the BRP replacement service if your visa expires. Application for a BRP replacement can only be done when you return to the UK, which must be done within 3 months of the expiry date.
Related Article: Ways to Increase Chances of UK Visa Applications Approved
Why Do I Need A BRP Card?
Your biometric resident permit card is given when your visa is approved and can be used as proof to show you have the legal right to study, live or work in the UK. The BRP card can be used to;
- confirm your identity
- to show you have the right to study or work, depending on your purpose in the UK.
- And if you are entitled to any benefits or public services, with your BRP card you can gain access to them.
How Do I Get My Biometric Residence Permit Card?
Receiving your biometric residence permit will depend on where you made your visa or immigration application. If your application was done from within the UK, your BRP will be sent to the same address you filled in your application, if you want your BRP to be sent to another address, you will need to update the new address before you receive your decision letter. When the Home Office sends your decision letter, authorizing you to remain in the UK, you will receive your biometric resident permit within 7 -10 days. Your BRP card will be sent by a courier service.
If your application was done from outside of the UK, you will be given a vignette sticker on your travel document when entering the UK. This sticker is only temporary, so you will need to pick up BRP card within 10 days of entering into the UK, or before your vignette sticker expires. Your decision letter will disclose where to collect your BRP card, whether from a Post Office branch or from your sponsor, it all depends on the option you chose while filling your application form. You are obligated to collect your BRP card when you come into the UK or you will be fined £1,000 if you failed to do so, and you must be over 18 years to be eligible to collect your BRP card.
Remember to take your travel document or passport, including your vignette sticker when collecting your BRP.
Can Someone Else Collect My BRP Card On My Behalf?
You can choose to pick up the BRP card, and if you for any reason will not be able to do so, you can nominate someone else to collect it for you. A charity, an employer, your college/university, or a legal representative can help you make the nomination. You will be informed or contacted within 5 working days if the person you nominated has been approved to pick up your BRP card. You are free to change your mind on who you nominated and replace it with someone else if you have issues collecting your BRP.
Whoever you nominate to collect your BRP card must have the following;
- EU national identity card
- A Biometric Resident Permit card
- And a Passport
Inform the Home Office about your reasons for not being able to collect your BRP. Your reasons could be;
- Loss of travel document or passport and cannot present evidence of your identity.
- Loss of decision letter
- Or your BRP card was not at the post office
After informing the home office about your reasons, you will be sent an email within 5 working days on the next step to take. Ensure to drop your correct email address.
Can I Replace My Visa With A BRP?
It is possible to apply for a biometric resident permit to substitute your visa in your travel document or passport, if your passport or travel document has been lost, expired, or stolen. Your reason could also be that the details or your facial appearance on your visa have changed. If you are applying for a BRP you must do so from within the UK, how you apply and the fee required will have to depend on your visa status.
Different Visa Status, How To Apply And Cost
- If you have the Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you have to make your application online and your decision will be sent to you within 6 months. This will cost £229. You can opt for the super-priority service to get a faster decision which will cost an additional £800. A decision will be sent by the next working day, after your UKVCAS appointment, if it was held on a weekday, and 2 working days after your appointment with the UKVCAS, if your appointment was held on a weekend.
- If you have the leave to remain, which is the temporary permission to stay in the UK, you can apply online. You will receive a decision in 8 weeks. This will cost £161. For a faster decision, the super-priority service cost £800. A decision will be sent by the next working day, after your UKVCAS appointment, if it was held on a weekday, and 2 working days after your appointment with the UKVCAS, if your appointment was held on a weekend.
- And finally, if you are a commonwealth citizen who do not have evidence or document to prove you have the right to stay in the UK, you may be able to get a BRP card under the Windrush Scheme.