Start typing and hit "Enter" to search.
immigration solicitors near me

What Countries Can I Visit With A UK Visa?

The UK is a wonderful place to visit, live and work. With a rich history and a fascinating culture, it is both a perfect holiday destination and a great place to settle down. However, if you have come from across the globe to see what the UK has to offer, you might also be tempted to visit the surrounding countries to make the trip worthwhile. In this article we will be looking at the various destinations that are covered by the different visas you can get to enter the UK as a foreigner, and what they can help you achieve.

What countries can I visit with a UK visa?

If you wish to do some travelling whilst in the UK, you may also want to know where you can go with a UK visa. With a UK visa you can visit all the countries within the United Kingdom, which includes England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. For other countries such as Ireland, you will need a separate visa.

Is there any difference in countries I can visit depending on the visa that I have?

Whatever the reason for your stay in the UK, you will need a visa accordingly. Whether you are a student, a tourist or working full- or part-time, you will need the correct visa in order to enter the country. No matter which visa you need or have, you will only be able to use it to gain entrance into the UK, which includes the countries mentioned above. If you wish to travel to other countries, you will need the appropriate visa from that country.

Unfortunately, it is not until you gain British citizenship that you get significantly better travel rights around the world and specific within the European Union. This will likely change after the UK leaves the union in 2019, but there will likely be significant allowances for British passport holders moving forward with our European partners.

If I gain Indefinite Leave to Remain, will I gain extended rights?

For those of you who wish to settle in the UK, you will need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). First you will need to find out if you are eligible to apply, and once you have applied, wait for your application to be accepted. Once you have gained your Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you will not get your extended rights straight away. You will next have to apply for British citizenship after having spent a minimum of 6 years in the UK.

You will need to have spent at least 5 years in the UK before you are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), and a further 12 months to be able to apply for British citizenship. This only applies to certain visa routes and you will need to ensure that the one you are on is applicable. Once you have your British citizenship, you will then gain your extended rights.

Will I get the same rights as a British citizen born in the UK if gain British citizenship?

Once you have gone through the process of applying for and getting Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), and you have gained British citizenship, you will obtain your extended rights. Once you have this, you will have the same rights as a person who was born in the UK.

This is the ideal target for many who travel to the UK to live and work. It is very achievable as long as you stick to your visa terms and remain in the country for the desired amount of time. You will need to ensure that you also have not left the country for long periods, as this can count against your application.

When the UK leaves the European Union will my rights be affected?

The UK leaving the EU has us all questioning what is in store for the future. For businesses and trade, but also for the lives of British Citizens and those from abroad, what does the future hold? The short answer is, we don't know. The longer answer is that many things are bound to change, but as far as the rights of the UK's citizens go, it is unlikely that there will be any major changes.

Can I relocate to another country on a UK visa?

If you have a UK visa, you will only be able to travel within the UK. If you wish to visit, live or work in another country, then you will have to apply for a visa directly from that country. However, if you have gained British citizenship and then wish to relocate to another country, things would be slightly different. If you wanted to relocate to a country within the European Union, then currently you wouldn't require a visa. If you wish to relocate further afield, then you would need a visa from that country.

Once the UK leaves the EU, things will change. With British citizenship you will have the same rights as someone born in the UK, and as things unfold with Brexit, we will know more about our freedom of movement, and which countries will require a visa for travel, work or permanent settling.

Where can I get more help?

Getting a visa can be quite complicated, especially if you don't speak the language, or if you don't have anyone to help you. Whether you know the visa you need but don't know how to get it, or you know nothing about UK visas and would like some help in figuring out which one you need, there is always someone you can go to have your questions answered. Call today to speak to our immigration solicitors who can help you out, whatever your visa issue. Don't suffer in silence, get a team of experts in your corner and give yourself the best chance of remaining in the UK for the long-term.

Get In Touch

Some of our Happy Client
  • immigration solicitors near me
  • immigration solicitors near me
  • immigration solicitors near me
  • immigration solicitors near me

Reiss Edwards Awards


Reiss Edwards is absolutely amazing. As a lawyer myself I can categorically say that they know their stuff, gentle, responsive, care about you and not just about the money, very professional.

I mean I can go on and on! The entire team at Reiss Edwards is amazing!

Kiran Sardar

I found Joe very helpful and tremendous patience which is a must in this professional as there are lots of emotions always involved in each and every case.

The way they dealt with my case during COVID19 Situation is highly appreciable. I would definitely recommend Joe D. and Anna F. Anna is an amazing lady, her patience is beyond my words.

Her hard work and professionalism have no boundaries. She is the right person for all type of cases.

Thanks to Anna and Joe for all your support and guidance which helped me fulfill my dream.

I would say Reiss Edwards is lucky to have Joe D. and Anna F. Great job Reiss Edwards.

thanks once again. Anna you’re a Gem and a Star.

Cheyam Shaked

"Anna Foley was the lawyer helping my partner obtain an EEA EFM visa. She was outstanding. Handling the case with constant correspondence over a lengthy, lockdown delayed 7-month application process. Her expert advice guided us successfully through some difficult times as a result of COVID-19. Some of the best service I have received for any service ever! Often replying to emails late at night, offering to send additional correspondence to the home office and going above and beyond in handling our case! Well done and thank you Reiss Edwards and thank you Anna!!".

Isaac .T

"Professional service. I was very impressed with the fact that my ILR application was successful 6 weeks after the submission amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. I also think the portfolio put together by the team at Reiss Edwards has played a big part in the quick turnaround of my application".

Reiss Edwards Reviews


"Andy Tieu is absolutely amazing, as a lawyer myself I can categorically say tha...

Read More

Kiran Sardar

"I found Joe very helpful and tremendous patience which is a must in this profes...

Read More

Cheyam Shaked

"Anna Foley was the lawyer helping my partner obtain an EEA EFM visa. She was ou...

Read More

Isaac .T

"Professional service. I was very impressed with the fact that my ILR applicatio...

Read More
Back to Top