Start typing and hit "Enter" to search.

Can My Spouse/Partner Who Lives With Me Apply For Residence Card

How possible is it for my Spouse/Partner who is not from the EU or UK on a visitor's visa to then apply for a Residence card?

Get In Touch

I am an EU citizen (French), my wife is Brazilian, she is currently staying with me on a visitor visa, and can she apply for a residence card?

Our Response

If your wife is currently residing in the UK, she will not be expected to return to Brazil to make an application. The European Regulations allow for an in country application to be made for a Residence card, which results in saving time if she is already in the UK with a visitor visa.

We will need to make an application in good time so that your spouse does not overstay her visit visa. When making the application, we will need to provide evidence of

The European national exercising treaty rights as a worker, self-sufficient, a student or a job seeker. There may be a requirement to have private medical insurance;

You must be in a genuine a subsisting relationship;

These are the main requirements and we can discuss them further over the phone with either myself or one of our immigration solicitors.

The European regulations remain in place despite Brexit. The longevity of the rules is where there may need to be a further application in the future. However, for now, my advice remains correct and I suggest we make a timely application for a five-year residence card whilst your wife is in the UK.

Some of the documents that we may request include, but are not limited to:

Wage slips for the qualifying period immediate before the application;

Corresponding bank statements to cover the same period;

Passports of all parties applying, which must include the European national and third country national;

Utility bills that show that you are living in the same household. This evidence will be used to show that you are in a genuine relationship;

Marriage certificate, which must be translated into English if not already in English;

Any other documents that will be confirmed when further instructions have been taken.

Should you require any assistance or have any enquiries please contact our immigration solicitors at or call 02037442797.

Reiss Edwards Awards


Reiss Edwards is absolutely amazing. As a lawyer myself I can categorically say that they know their stuff, gentle, responsive, care about you and not just about the money, very professional.

I mean I can go on and on! The entire team at Reiss Edwards is amazing!

Kiran Sardar

I found Joe very helpful and tremendous patience which is a must in this professional as there are lots of emotions always involved in each and every case.

The way they dealt with my case during COVID19 Situation is highly appreciable. I would definitely recommend Joe D. and Anna F. Anna is an amazing lady, her patience is beyond my words.

Her hard work and professionalism have no boundaries. She is the right person for all type of cases.

Thanks to Anna and Joe for all your support and guidance which helped me fulfill my dream.

I would say Reiss Edwards is lucky to have Joe D. and Anna F. Great job Reiss Edwards.

thanks once again. Anna you’re a Gem and a Star.

Cheyam Shaked

"Anna Foley was the lawyer helping my partner obtain an EEA EFM visa. She was outstanding. Handling the case with constant correspondence over a lengthy, lockdown delayed 7-month application process. Her expert advice guided us successfully through some difficult times as a result of COVID-19. Some of the best service I have received for any service ever! Often replying to emails late at night, offering to send additional correspondence to the home office and going above and beyond in handling our case! Well done and thank you Reiss Edwards and thank you Anna!!".

Isaac .T

"Professional service. I was very impressed with the fact that my ILR application was successful 6 weeks after the submission amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. I also think the portfolio put together by the team at Reiss Edwards has played a big part in the quick turnaround of my application".

Reiss Edwards Reviews


"Andy Tieu is absolutely amazing, as a lawyer myself I can categorically say tha...

Read More

Kiran Sardar

"I found Joe very helpful and tremendous patience which is a must in this profes...

Read More

Cheyam Shaked

"Anna Foley was the lawyer helping my partner obtain an EEA EFM visa. She was ou...

Read More

Isaac .T

"Professional service. I was very impressed with the fact that my ILR applicatio...

Read More
Back to Top