Leave this empty:

Applying for a US Visa

People from different works of life who want to migrate to the US for different purposes must apply for a US visa. You will need to apply for a US visa. The type of US visa required depends solely on your purpose of travel, it could be for tourism, visits, working, business, studies, or to reside permanently.

Applying for a US visa, your application process can take up to 3-5 weeks, it is important to plan ahead of time or 3 months in advance. Remember, the processing time of your US visa depends on your visa type.

US Immigration Visa Types

Work Visa (HB1) USA

The HB1 Visa is given to foreign nationals coming into US to work temporarily for a certain employer. HB1 visa do not permit workers to work and live in the US permanently or for a long period of time.

The requirements for work visas are as follows

  • You will need a job offer from an employer in the U.S
  • Valid passport
  • Passport photograph
  • The Receipt Number found in your I-129 Form filed by your employer.
  • A confirmation page of your Visa Application DS-160 Form.
  • Receipt of your application fee.
  • Bank statements.
  • For an L Visa applicant, a filled I-129S form (Non-immigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition)

Investor (e1) visa USA

The investor visas are visas for immigrant investors coming into the united states to invest in commercial enterprises and create job for US residents in the process, by this means boosting the country's economy.

There are immigrant investor programs like citizenship by investment, golden passport, and golden visa program that provides citizenship and residence which aims to attract foreign businesses and capital.

The requirements for investor visas are as follows

  • Valid passport
  • Passport photograph
  • Filled medical examination forms
  • Provide civil documents
  • Financial/ bank statements.
  • Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application.

Family Visa USA

Family members (immediate and extended family) of a US citizen or a green card holder coming into US will be given a family visa if they meet the eligibility criteria. When their application for immigration to the United States is successful, they will be free to live and work permanently.

The requirements for investor visas are as follows

  • Valid passport
  • Passport photograph
  • Appointment Letter and Courier Confirmation Page.
  • Birth Certificate of family members, or an affidavit if the birth certificates are unavailable. Including a baptismal certificate.
  • An adoption certificate for adopted child or children.
  • Provide your marriage certificate. (If needed)
  • Police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).
  • Legal evidence of change of name/ statutory declaration.
  • Criminal records documents.
  • Military records if needed.
  • Affidavit of support.
  • Payment of Visa fees.
  • All documents should be in English

T Visa USA

This visa type is issued to victims of human trafficking, forced labour, or sex trade who got into the United States through trafficking. The T visa allows such victims and family members to live and work in the US temporarily for a period of 4 years if they agree to help the law enforcements in investigations of the crimes, they were victims of.

The T visa requirements includes;

  • A filled Form I-914, Application for T Nonimmigrant Status.
  • To certify that you have been a victim of human trafficking, you will need to Complete a form I-914, Supplement B, Declaration of Law Enforcement Officer for Victim of Trafficking in Persons.
  • 3 passport sized photographs.
  • Provide more evidence as proof of eligibility.

The other US visa types are the, f1 (student) visa US, US spouse visa, SB (Returning Resident) Visa, sponsored (eb1, eb5) visa US, resident visa US, f4 visa US, u visa US, religious worker visa US, refugee visa US.

Types of US Work Visas

Work visas provide approval for employment for foreign workers who wants to be legally employed in US. There are various types of work visas obtainable to foreign nationals coming in for work, this includes

  • Exchange worker visas,
  • Seasonal work visas,
  • Temporary work visas and
  • Green cards permanent residence.

The type of work you get employed for will determine the visa you will be eligible for.

How do I get sponsorship to work in the US?

There are visas for non-residents who plan on coming into the US to live permanently by the United States Government. However, these visas are not just granted, you will require a sponsor who resides in the US and is eligible to be your sponsor.

If you are looking for sponsorship to work in the US there are some steps you can take to help you get sponsorship listed below;

  • You can identify employers in need via job postings and ads of various company websites who are in need of employees or companies that has the same ads up for a couple of months. These companies might be dire need of employers and will be willing to go through the immigration processes.
  • Search for employers who have had a lot of experience hiring foreign workers, there is a chance they will hire you because of their familiarity with the process involved. Always endeavor to read the online self- description or press releases of the company.
  • Expand your network by asking and making enquiries from people if they know anyone who has been hired, if they have any openings or how they got their job.
  • Contact employers that are willing to hire foreign workers, if there are no job openings yet you could send your resume regardless. Always follow the application guidelines carefully.

Note: To apply for a temporary visa to work will not be possible until you have a job offer from an employer who will act as your sponsor and help with your application processes.

How to Apply for Green Card (Permanent Residence)

Obtaining a green card by marriage is possible if you are married to a U.S citizen or Green card holder. Being a green card holder means you can work and live in the United states for a minimum of 5years. You can apply for US Citizenship after 3 years. The application processes for a green card through marriage can be a long and tedious one involving documents and forms, it possible to involve a certified immigration law firm. Reiss Edwards' team of immigration lawyers are an internationally recognized law firm best in handling immigration processes swiftly and successfully.

There are 3 steps to getting Green card through marriage. They are;

  • Application for the green card.
  • Provide proof of marriage
  • Attend a green card interview

US Citizenship - How to Apply

Applying for a US citizenship can take about 6 months to 1 year for the process to be completed. You are only eligible to apply for citizenship if you are a green card holder for a minimum 5 years.

To apply for a US citizenship through Naturalization, you should have;

  • A Completed Application Form N-400.
  • Submit a copy of your permanent resident card Green card
  • Passport photographs
  • Pay the fees
  • Submit the required documents
  • Your N-400 form should be signed and filed correctly

US Citizenship by Investment

Another way to get instant citizenship is investing in real estate properties, government funds/bonds, and an approved business. As a foreign national you can invest to get citizenship.

To get citizenship through investment;

  • You should be able to invest in new commercial enterprises.
  • Your funds for investment must have been gained lawfully.
  • At least $500 - $1 million must be invested in a new commercial enterprise'
  • With your investment, at least 10 full time jobs must have been created for US workers.

US Citizenship through Marriage

Spouses of US citizens with green cards do not need to wait for 5 years before applying for citizenship. You are eligible to file for N-400 application for naturalization after 3 years of being a green card holder. You must have resided continuously in the united states with your spouse after getting your permanent residence (green card) and must have been married for a minimum of 3 years before applying.

US Visa Cost & Application Fee

Tourist, exchange visas, business, and student


Work and religious visas


E visas for temporary workers


K visas for Fiancé(e)


How We Can Help

Reiss Edward's immigration Solicitors are highly professional and informative with immigration law. We are ready to help make your immigration processes easy and swift. For further information, enquiries and assistance, you can contact us today on 020 3744 2797 or send us an email on

Some of our happy clients



530 Reviews



Copyright © 2020 Immigration Lawyers London