uk immigration lawyers
uk immigration lawyers
Home / Family Immigration

Civil Partner Visa UK

A civil partnership is a relationship that has been legally recognised between two same-sex people. The creation of the civil partnership meant that same-sex couples could garner many of the same rights that were already given to heterosexual married couples. The move was a huge step in the progression of the UK and LGBT rights and marks the UK’s clear commitment to equality for all. With that in mind, the visa rules needed to be amended for same-sex couples that were to enter into a civil partnership. The result was the civil partner's visa that we discuss in detail here.

The visa as you may have guessed allows a person in a same-sex relationship and not an EEA national to settle in the UK with an EEA national. This means that a successful applicant can join their proposed civil partner in the UK for up to two and a half years (which can be extended). As the UK is currently trying to reduce net migration, it is more important than ever that applications are presented properly and with that in mind, you may wish to consider bringing in a specialist immigration firm like ours. Having a specialist immigration lawyer working for you gives you the best chance to harness years of experience and knowledge into delivering you the best result possible. So if you are the civil partner of a British national or a person present and settled in the UK, you may be able to apply for UK Civil Partner Visa to join your partner in the UK. Out-of-country applications will be made to the High Commission/Embassy/Consulate in the country of nationality or country of origin of the applicant. While in-country applications will be made by submitting the FLR (M) application by post to the Home Office. In-country applications are applicable where the applicant is on a visa with a leave of more than 6 months.

The visa program itself relies heavily on its eligibility criteria. The criteria for the visa program is as follows;

  • Not already in the UK (this is vital as applicants inside the UK are not eligible).
  • Both you and your partner must be over 18 years of age.
  • You have met your partner and are committed to the relationship
  • The relationship is monogamous
  • You intend to live together permanently

In addition, you will need to prove that your partner is settled in the UK and is an EEA resident. You will also be required to prove that you can maintain yourselves and that your partner must earn at least £18,600.

Whilst you are a fiance, fiancee or a proposed civil partner you will not be able to work.

Once you have been accepted you will receive 2.5 years on a visa that is extendable.

Once you have had 5 years on a civil partner visa you will be entitled to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK. As long as you continue to meet the requirements you will have a strong chance to be successful in your application.

We are experts at helping with complicated visa applications and are well set up to handle the specific requirements that a civil partner visa brings. In order to see what we can do get in contact with us today. Our expertise means that you will have the best chance of a successful application to live and work in the UK so why delay?

Immigration Enquiry

subscribe to email and newsletters
Reiss Edwards Reviews
5 out of 5 stars 279 Google+ Reviews
reivew immigration lawyer

Our Brochure

Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Arabic Brochure
Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Immigration related Testimonials

Investing over 2 million pounds is defintely not a routine decision. We had to make sure that the Tier 1 investor immigration lawyers london that we would be picking has to be one of the best within the Tier 1 investor category. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they were able to get us not only the Tier 1 investor visa but also suggested profitable investment portfolios in addition to what we already had in mind.
The Home Office refused my Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension application. This meant that my family and i would have to go back to Jordan and my business would close down. I needed a good immigration lawyer to put in a very strong appeal. I approached Reiss Edwards based on a friend's recommendation and they put together a very strong appeal. I read the grounds of appeal and I knew that this was a winner. A big thanks to Joe who worked tireless on my appeal.
I am glad that i instructed Reiss Edwards on my visa matter.

It started with a 20 minutes free immigration advice. I met with Amar to discuss my ILR refusal. He gave me a great deal of quality advice and decided to take on my messy case. I had doubts on the merits of my case by he was relatively convinced he could win it. That made me quite secure.

To be honest, things did not start as quick as I would have wanted, but they kept on communicating the process and state of things to me

A big thank you to Verusha and Foram. They were also very helpful. Brilliant and informative.

Their fee was fair and reasonable, especially if you compare them to other law firms and immigration law firms in London; some of whom even told me that i would not be able to get an indefinte leave to remain in this country.

The process was long but was worth it. In the end, a big thank you to Reiss Edwards.
I have just had British Citizenship application approved. Prior to making the application, i was not sure which law firm i should hire to facilitate the paperwork. After a few hours of research, i decided to go with Reiss Edwards and i must confess that i wasnt disappointed.

The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards handled my case well and they really knew what they were doing. They were fully aware of what documents I needed and it was easy for them to tell if my case was going to be easy or not.

At the end of the day, I have not received my British citizenship within 3 months.

If anyone is looking for a good immigration lawyer to handle thier case, contact Reiss Edwards.
Fantastic Solicitors!!!

My wife's spouse visa extension application was refused by the Home Office and they gave her 14 days to leave the country. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they said "OK don't worry we will sort this out". They put together the list of documents for me to obtain and they prepared a bundle which was as thick as the printer it came out from.

We followed everything they asked us to do and in the end we won our appeal and got our spouse visa.

We can't recommend them enough and we have promised ourselves never to make any more UK visa applications without them.
The team of lawyers at Reiss Edwards are very professional and friendly people. Their experience in and around UK immigration law is quite extensive; be sure that you application is in safe and competent hands. My immigration matter was an indefinite leave to remain application based on Tier 1 on a self-employment basis. The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards made sure that the application was perfect and ready to be accepted. I got a positive decision and I recommend them highly for anyone who needs a UK immigration help.
This is the only firm that i spoke with that didn't ask for money before listening to me, will be using them again.
I used Reiss Edwards for my Tier 2 visa application and it was successful. The team was ever present and happy to answer my question.

The caseworker that dealing with my case went on holiday yet by case did not suffer one bit. Another lawyer stepped and took over the case without any hassle.
My Tier 1 Investor Visa was dealt with quickly and without issue. Would recommend Reiss Edwards as an Immigration law firm in London. Thank you to the team.
I contacted Reiss Edwards to help me with my wife’s UK settlement visa. They acted with utmost professionalism throughout the entire application. I spoke with Joe Dinh, he is an immigration solicitor and he is one of the best solicitors out there. He ensured that there was little to no room for error. At some point I thought he was over cautious. He remained calmed and continued to assure us on our immigration matter. Most people in his position would have panicked but he was calmed and continued to assure us. We received out positive outcome very quickly.

Click to view all google reviews
I have been using Reiss Edwards for three years now for my family's immigration application. Both for my initial application and extension. They are really affordable. The team of solicitors at this firm are probably one of the most efficient and economical in terms of cost. They offered free advice over the phone and spent good time with us before inviting us for consultation.

Click to view all google reviews
Reiss Edwards is a top notch immigration service company. The way they handled our documentation and also the list of documents they sent was efficient and top quality. They helped us professionally throughout the process. We are very happy with the immigration advice we received from the team. We highly recommend them.

Click to view all google reviews
I used Reiss Edwards’ immigration lawyers to assist with my immigration matter and that of my family. It was an EX1 application. They dealt with the matter properly and even when complications were coming up from the Home Office, they helped resolve the issue properly. They are very professional and are very popular in London. I am happy to have worked with them.

Click to view all google reviews
It's a shame that you dont have an 'Excellent' star rating on here, as my experience with Reiss Edwards is nothing short of an excellent rating. They handled my application for an Indefinite Leave to remain in April 2014 and did my husband's one very recently including my daughter. Every time i have approached them, they have continued to treat me with courtesy, respect and patience. Amar was indeed a very thorough and professional gentleman. He is very knowledgeable, corporative and engaging. He responded to my emails, calls and enquiries promptly. He was always reassuring. I could not have asked for a better Immigration service.

I would recommend them over and over again for anyone looking for an immigration advice.

They gave me a free immigration advice when i called them, and the quality of the advice was something other charge thousands for. If you need a particular, name, Amar would be it. He exemplifies, for me, the true, professional gentleman. He is a valuable asset to Reiss Edwards.

Kind regards
Nancy Jacquard

facebook icon twitter google youtube rss feed sitemap

Copyright 2017 - Immigration Lawyers London | +44(0)20 3744 2797 | | Map   | Reiss Edwards | Privacy Policy | Terms