uk immigration lawyers
uk immigration lawyers
Home / Blog

What type of sponsorship licence do I Need?

  1. Tier 2 - skilled workers with long-term job offers; and/or
  2. Tier 5 - skilled temporary workers.

The company can apply for a licence covering either both.

Tier 2 sponsorship licence is applicable where the company is willing to employ non-EU nationals on a permanent basis in the following categories:

  • Intra-Company Transfer- for multi-national companies which need to transfer employee to the UK;
  • Minister of Religion- for people coming to work for a religious organisation (for up to 3 years);
  • Sportsperson- for elite sportspeople and coached who will be base in the UK;
  • General- the job they are going to do has a suitable rate of pay and skill level (NQF level 6 or above) and corresponds to the standard occupational classification codes (SOC codes).

If the company is willing to employ a non-EU nationals on a temporary basis and the applicant's duties fall under the description of the following sub-categories:

  • Tier 5 (Religious Workers) - for those doing preaching, pastoral and non-pastoral work (2 years)
  • Tier 5 (Government authorised exchange) - work experience (1 year), research projects or training, eg practical medical or scientific training (2 years) to enable a short-term exchange of knowledge;
  • Tier 5 (Charity worker)- for unpaid workers (up to 1 year);
  • Tier 5 (Creative and sporting)- to work as a sportsperson (up to 1 year), entertainer or artist (up to 2 years)
  • Tier 5 (International Agreement) -where the worker is coming to do a job which is covered by international law, eg employees of overseas governments

Reiss Edwards can assist your company with the following aspects of the Tier 5 and Tier 2 category:

  • Sponsor Licence
  • Sponsor Licence Extensions
  • Compliance
  • Mock Audits
  • Sponsorship Management System (SMS) advice
  • Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) application
  • Visa Application for your potential employee

Sponsorship management system (SMS). Restricted and unrestricted COS and fee.

During the process of online application, the company must nominate authorising officer and once the application is approved the authorising officer will receive SMS login details via email/post and will have an option to nominate level 1 user, a level 2 user and a 'key contact' to operate the sponsorship management system.

A sponsor licence will be given A or B rating by the UKVI. If company's HR systems and compliance are in place, the company will be given sponsor licence with an A-rating. Only A-rated sponsor can certify maintenance for the potential non-EU employees. The licence is valid for 4 years and thereafter the company has an option to renew the licence.

The authorising officer will be responsible for the Sponsorship Management System (SMS) and. SMS is used to request/assign certificates of sponsorship (COS). COS is an online document with a unique number issued by registered sponsors, if all relevant requirements are complied with. The migrant needs to provide this reference number regardless whether he/she is making application inside or outside the UK.

Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Help

Reiss Edwards is a firm of UK immigration experts, based in the City of London, Holborn. With over 10 years of practical experience, our team of Tier 5 and Tier 2 specialists assist with the preparation for and submission of your Tier 5 and Tier 2 sponsor licence, maintaining and renewing the licence. Reiss Edwards can act as the Key Contact/ Level 1 User/ Level 2 User for your company.

We pride ourselves as a leading business immigration law firm in London. Our specialist Tier 2 Sponsor licence team are able to provide you with a professional and honest legal advice on your Tier 2 Sponsor licence application. Our high success rate to application submitted ratio gives us even more confidence in handling any type of Sponsor license visa application. Be sure to take advantage of our free initial assessment over the phone to determine whether you meet the requirements to qualify or not.

Please call our offices on 02037442797 or e-mail us at should you wish to discuss your case further.


Immigration Enquiry

subscribe to email and newsletters
Reiss Edwards Reviews
5 out of 5 stars 360 Google+ Reviews
reivew immigration lawyer

Our Brochure

Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Arabic Brochure
Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Immigration related Testimonials

Investing over 2 million pounds is defintely not a routine decision. We had to make sure that the Tier 1 investor immigration lawyers london that we would be picking has to be one of the best within the Tier 1 investor category. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they were able to get us not only the Tier 1 investor visa but also suggested profitable investment portfolios in addition to what we already had in mind.
The Home Office refused my Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension application. This meant that my family and i would have to go back to Jordan and my business would close down. I needed a good immigration lawyer to put in a very strong appeal. I approached Reiss Edwards based on a friend's recommendation and they put together a very strong appeal. I read the grounds of appeal and I knew that this was a winner. A big thanks to Joe who worked tireless on my appeal.
I am glad that i instructed Reiss Edwards on my visa matter.

It started with a 20 minutes free immigration advice. I met with Amar to discuss my ILR refusal. He gave me a great deal of quality advice and decided to take on my messy case. I had doubts on the merits of my case by he was relatively convinced he could win it. That made me quite secure.

To be honest, things did not start as quick as I would have wanted, but they kept on communicating the process and state of things to me

A big thank you to Verusha and Foram. They were also very helpful. Brilliant and informative.

Their fee was fair and reasonable, especially if you compare them to other law firms and immigration law firms in London; some of whom even told me that i would not be able to get an indefinte leave to remain in this country.

The process was long but was worth it. In the end, a big thank you to Reiss Edwards.
I have just had British Citizenship application approved. Prior to making the application, i was not sure which law firm i should hire to facilitate the paperwork. After a few hours of research, i decided to go with Reiss Edwards and i must confess that i wasnt disappointed.

The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards handled my case well and they really knew what they were doing. They were fully aware of what documents I needed and it was easy for them to tell if my case was going to be easy or not.

At the end of the day, I have not received my British citizenship within 3 months.

If anyone is looking for a good immigration lawyer to handle thier case, contact Reiss Edwards.
Fantastic Solicitors!!!

My wife's spouse visa extension application was refused by the Home Office and they gave her 14 days to leave the country. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they said "OK don't worry we will sort this out". They put together the list of documents for me to obtain and they prepared a bundle which was as thick as the printer it came out from.

We followed everything they asked us to do and in the end we won our appeal and got our spouse visa.

We can't recommend them enough and we have promised ourselves never to make any more UK visa applications without them.
The team of lawyers at Reiss Edwards are very professional and friendly people. Their experience in and around UK immigration law is quite extensive; be sure that you application is in safe and competent hands. My immigration matter was an indefinite leave to remain application based on Tier 1 on a self-employment basis. The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards made sure that the application was perfect and ready to be accepted. I got a positive decision and I recommend them highly for anyone who needs a UK immigration help.
This is the only firm that i spoke with that didn't ask for money before listening to me, will be using them again.
I used Reiss Edwards for my Tier 2 visa application and it was successful. The team was ever present and happy to answer my question.

The caseworker that dealing with my case went on holiday yet by case did not suffer one bit. Another lawyer stepped and took over the case without any hassle.
My Tier 1 Investor Visa was dealt with quickly and without issue. Would recommend Reiss Edwards as an Immigration law firm in London. Thank you to the team.
I contacted Reiss Edwards to help me with my wife’s UK settlement visa. They acted with utmost professionalism throughout the entire application. I spoke with Joe Dinh, he is an immigration solicitor and he is one of the best solicitors out there. He ensured that there was little to no room for error. At some point I thought he was over cautious. He remained calmed and continued to assure us on our immigration matter. Most people in his position would have panicked but he was calmed and continued to assure us. We received out positive outcome very quickly.

Click to view all google reviews
I have been using Reiss Edwards for three years now for my family's immigration application. Both for my initial application and extension. They are really affordable. The team of solicitors at this firm are probably one of the most efficient and economical in terms of cost. They offered free advice over the phone and spent good time with us before inviting us for consultation.

Click to view all google reviews
Reiss Edwards is a top notch immigration service company. The way they handled our documentation and also the list of documents they sent was efficient and top quality. They helped us professionally throughout the process. We are very happy with the immigration advice we received from the team. We highly recommend them.

Click to view all google reviews
I used Reiss Edwards’ immigration lawyers to assist with my immigration matter and that of my family. It was an EX1 application. They dealt with the matter properly and even when complications were coming up from the Home Office, they helped resolve the issue properly. They are very professional and are very popular in London. I am happy to have worked with them.

Click to view all google reviews
It's a shame that you dont have an 'Excellent' star rating on here, as my experience with Reiss Edwards is nothing short of an excellent rating. They handled my application for an Indefinite Leave to remain in April 2014 and did my husband's one very recently including my daughter. Every time i have approached them, they have continued to treat me with courtesy, respect and patience. Amar was indeed a very thorough and professional gentleman. He is very knowledgeable, corporative and engaging. He responded to my emails, calls and enquiries promptly. He was always reassuring. I could not have asked for a better Immigration service.

I would recommend them over and over again for anyone looking for an immigration advice.

They gave me a free immigration advice when i called them, and the quality of the advice was something other charge thousands for. If you need a particular, name, Amar would be it. He exemplifies, for me, the true, professional gentleman. He is a valuable asset to Reiss Edwards.

Kind regards
Nancy Jacquard

Copyright © 2019 Immigration Lawyer London