Tier 2 Sponsorship: Who Can We Bring?

Tier 2 Sponsorship: Who Can We Bring?

When you are planning to come to the UK to work for a Tier 2 Sponsor Licence holder, you may be wondering which family members can join you in the UK. While a large number of Tier 2 General Visa holders come to the UK alone, many have dependents who rely upon them and may need to join them in the UK. In this article, we're going to look at bringing dependents to the UK. We will look at different options for different family members, and how the immigration rules govern things such as maintenance funds and the specific members of your family who can bring. By the end of the article, you should have a much clearer picture of which of your family members can join you in the UK while you are here on a Tier 2 General Visa.

Which Dependants Can I Bring to the UK?

The Tier 2 General Visa offers the chance to bring dependents to the UK that are eligible to come. The dependents that you can bring include: your spouse or partner, your children under the age of 18, and potentially a child over the age of 18 (as long as they are currently in the UK). All of these family members will need to meet the eligibility criteria, which depending on your circumstances would include maintenance funds to ensure that they can support themselves temporarily in the UK.

As long as they're eligible, your Tier 2 dependent can apply at the same time as you apply for your Tier 2 General Visa, or they can apply to join you later on in the UK once you have settled. It is not uncommon for dependants to join their family in the UK after the Tier 2 General Visa holder has been in the country for some time (to get settled etc.), and if you need help making this happen we can assist.

Do I Have To Have Maintenance Funds For Each Dependent Coming To The UK?

One of the criteria for the Tier 2 Dependent Visa is having maintenance funds of £630 available for 3 months (90 days) before applying to come to the UK to join a Tier 2 General Visa holder. There is an exception to this: if the Tier 2 General Visa holder is employed by an A-rated sponsor, or the sponsor is willing to give your dependent a Certificate of Sponsorship that notes that they will give your dependent £630 if they need it, the maintenance funds will not be required.

As well as maintenance funds, you will need to ensure that you have the ability to look after your dependants once they arrive in the UK (such as living in an appropriate property and having enough room to house them) - this will likely need to be proven. If you have any concerns about proving your ability to support your dependents in the UK, please get in touch and our team can help.

What Work Can My Spouse Do On A Tier 2 Dependant Visa?

Your dependent partner or spouse will be free to work for any business as long as it operates legally. The partner or spouse of a Tier 2 General Visa holder can work freely, unlike the visa holder themselves. This is an important distinction and provides excellent opportunities for Tier 2 Dependant Visa holders to earn additional income for the family. You will not be able to add this income to your application as a means of supporting a family, as your partner or spouse cannot take up employment until they have arrived in the UK.

Can I Bring My Daughter Who Cannot Support Herself To The UK?

This will depend upon the age of your child and the circumstances surrounding them. If, for instance, they are under the age of 18 years then they will be able to join you in the UK as a dependant, if they're older than 18 then they may not be able to. There are exceptions to this rule, and it's best to get in touch with our immigration specialists who can help you to figure out the best way of proceeding with an application if you have a child who is over the age of 18 but cannot support themselves during their stay in the UK.

Can My Dependent Gain Indefinite Leave To Remain?

Yes, they absolutely can, once they've been in the UK for 5 years. Once they hit this milestone, your dependents will be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. If, however, you gain Indefinite Leave to Remain before they do, they will be able to apply for a spouse visa (if this indeed is a better option). If you wish to discuss your options, please get in touch with our team and they will be able to help you to decide which visa is the best for your dependent and help you to make any applications that are necessary.

Once you've gained Indefinite Leave to Remain and held it for 12 months, you will then be able to apply for British citizenship (if this is indeed the route that you wish to take). Many immigrants to the UK opt to select this option - especially in the case that their country of origin allows its citizens to hold dual nationality. The UK does allow its citizens to hold dual nationality, as do many other countries around the world, so it is best to check with the embassy of your country of origin to see if it also supports dual nationality. If it does, there are many advantages to be gained by having dual nationality.

Where Can I Get More Help?

Our team of expert immigration solicitors are highly experienced and have helped many people to move to the UK to work and eventually settle down.

So, if you need help with a Tier 2 Dependent Visa query, don't hesitate to get in touch! We will be more than happy to give you the help and guidance you need to ensure a secure future here in the UK.

Some of our happy clients



530 Reviews



Copyright © 2020 Immigration Lawyers London