Tier 2 Restricted Work

Tier 2 Restricted Work

One of the common questions we hear is about the restricted work nature of the Tier 2 visa. The visa comes with a few restrictions, the main one being your employment. The main principle of Tier 2 is that you need sponsorship. Here we look at your options if you are considering changing your employer or looking to apply for your first visa. We look at the restrictions and how to approach them.

If you need help with a Tier 2 visa query then please get in touch and let our staff help you. We have extensive experience in helping people like you to succeed in their tier 2 visa applications.

Are there any restrictions on the work that I can do?

Yes, you will need to gain a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) from your prospective employer to gain a visa. You will need to remain working with them until you find a new sponsor (if you want or need to change jobs) or gain indefinite leave to remain in the country.

There are no particular jobs that are out of bounds to tier 2 visa holders, the restrictions are all based on the employer having a sponsor license. But you will still need to meet the normal eligibility criteria for a tier 2 visa.

Can I change industries?

Yes, you can change industries as long as your new employer is a sponsor license holder. They will produce a new Certificate of Sponsorship for you so you can apply for a new visa.

There are no restricted industries, so you are free to search the list of sponsors for an employer who can provide you a Certificate of Sponsorship. The government maintains a database of sponsor license holders and this is a great place to start a job search.

Can I change employers?

Yes, as stated above, you can change employers as long as they are sponsor license holders and can provide you a new Certificate of Sponsorship. If you are going to be applying for a new visa, you must ensure you still meet all the eligibility criteria.

Sponsor license holders are on a government register. It is worth searching the database to narrow down businesses in the industry you want to work in. It is an excellent tool and well worth investing some time in searching.

How we can help

If you're looking to change employers you will need to apply for a new Tier 2 visa. We can help to complete your application and ensure that it's error-free and has all the supplementary documentation required.

We have experienced immigration solicitors who can help you with your visa issues and have helped people in your position in the past. So to talk to one of our experienced advisors, contact us today.

Some of our happy clients



530 Reviews



Copyright © 2020 Immigration Lawyers London