2nd Part Of Spouse Visa Application Extension

2nd Part Of Spouse Visa Application Extension

If you have reached, or are coming to, the end of your initial 2.5 year period on your initial Spouse Visa then it should now be time to extend it. The extension for a Spouse Visa in the UK allows you to extend your stay to the point where you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after 5 years. In this article we are going to look at the extension process for the Spouse Visa in the UK. We will look at eligibility criteria, applications and help you to ensure that you have the best chance of making a successful application for a Spouse Visa extension.

When Do I Need To Apply For A Spouse Visa Extension?

You will need to apply for a Spouse Visa extension before your current visa comes to an end. It will be wise to ensure that you leave yourself plenty of time for an application to be processed, as it can take 2 to 3 months for processing. You should factor in this processing time when considering when to make your application. You should bear in mind that due to the documents required and the proof needed, you will need to keep significant documentation for several months, perhaps even years to satisfy the requirements of the visa. So while an application can be made in the few months before expiration, documentation collection should be prepared well in advance.

It is worth speaking with our experienced and versatile immigration lawyers us around 12 months before you are due to apply for an extension in order to make sure that your current documentation will be valid. We can help to ensure that you're on the right track to make your Spouse Visa extension application progress as easily as possible. The Home Office wish to see extensive documentary evidence of your relationship, so it is best to deal with this well before it is time to make your application.

How Much Does It Cost To Apply For A Spouse Visa Extension?

The current fee is £1,523 for a Spouse Visa extension. This fee does not cover your Immigration Health Surcharge (£400 per year), and does not cover fees from legal advice that has been provided to you. The application fee as well as the Immigration Health Surcharge will need to be paid at the time of application. This can be paid online at the end of your online application.

Once you have paid the required amount for your application, you will need to wait for the processing of the application. This can take anywhere up to 8 weeks, but can be processed quicker if you are willing to pay for an enhanced service. These enhanced services can reduce the wait time down to even a single day. There is a significant cost involved in doing this and you will need to attend a centre to be able to access the fastest options for processing.

Do I Need To Prove That I'm Still In A Relationship With My Spouse For An Extension?

Yes, you will be required to prove that you are still in a relationship with your spouse. The documentary evidence for that will be significant, and for that reason it is best to get in touch with us at least a year before you are considering making your application. When you get in touch with us, we can give you a document check up to ensure that you're on the right track and you already have all the documentation that you need. We will also ensure that you have a list of documents that will be required when it comes time to make your extension application.

The documentary evidence is required to ensure that you have maintained your relationship in the 2.5 years that you have lived in the UK. This removes the possibility that you have moved into the country just to gain a Spouse Visa. If you get in touch, we can help you to ensure that you have the right documents that you need in order to make a swift and easy application for your Spouse Visa extension. We can handle all of the intricate parts of the application to ensure that it processes smoothly.

What Documents Are Required To Prove A Relationship Still Exists?

You will need to provide significant amounts of documentary evidence to show that you are in a relationship and cohabiting. Some of this will take the form of official paperwork such as utility bills and council tax bills etc. You will also be required to show proof of your consistent communication with each other over an extended period of time. This may be a simple as passing messages and showing that there's been constant contact between you and your spouse over the previous 2.5 years. For most couples this should not be an issue and the process for providing the information is quite straightforward.

We can ensure that you have collected enough relevant documentation to document not only your cohabitation, but also the communication between yourselves that shows that you have been in a relationship. We can run you through a very simple check up that ensures that you have everything you need to show Home Office officials your genuine relationship with your spouse. This stage of the application is essential, so please talk to us first before making your application.

Where Can I Get More Help?

If you need help with a Spouse Visa extension application then please get in touch. Our experienced immigration solicitors can ensure that your application is as robust as possible and shows the genuineness of your relationship to any Home Office official who may be assigned to look at your application. Get in touch today and let us get you prepared to make the application process as easy as possible.

Related articles

Exceptional circumstances in spouse visa extension financial requirements

Proving the genuine and subsisting relationship requirements in UK spouse visa extension

Some of our happy clients



530 Reviews