uk immigration lawyers
uk immigration lawyers

Scenario of In-Country Spouse Visa Application by Non- UK citizen

Good morning, my partner and I need some Visa/immigration advice. My partner is Australian and wanted to stay in the UK - his visa runs out in February 2018. We are wanting to firstly get some advice on the best route to go down visa wise. I look forward to hearing from you soon, best wishes

Our Response

Thank you for your email immigration enquiry,

The rules under Appendix FM relate to making spouse visas and unmarried partner visas, which is what you appear to be making an enquiry about. I do however have limited information but will provide immigration advice based on what I have received.

I suggest that a visitor should not make an in-country application for a spouse visa or unmarried partner visa unless there are unsurmountable obstacles in them returning home to apply for entry clearance, which is applying from the country of origin (Australia). The reason for this is that the Home Office do not wish to process applications where the applicant has a visa for less than 6 months validity, from its initial grant, or visitors. Unsurmountable obstacles may include health issues or the presence of children. Each case varies depending on the facts and we can speak further about this over a telephone conference.

My advice is that you plan and prepare the application now and apply when he goes back home to Australia. The processing times vary of this type of application but range from 2 - 8 weeks. If you want to have a priority processing of this, the decision-making post charge an additional fee of approximately £500 to do so.

Aside from the above, if we apply for a spouse visa, entry clearance, we need the make sure that compliance of the rules can be achieved and to do this we must consider the following:

  • The financial requirement of £18,600 must be met by you, as the person sponsoring your partner to remain;
  • The genuine and subsisting nature of your relationship must be properly evidenced. This can be done with Utility bills, photographs and evidence of frequent contact. If you are married, the marriage certificate too will be required;
  • Accommodation must be suitable under the housing act for him to remain with you are your property. An accommodation report may be a good idea to get;
  • English language will need to be satisfied, which can be done with an Australian passport unless he is not a national of Australia. We can discuss this in more detail in a free telephone consultation along with all of the other issues;
  • We need to make sure that he meets the good character requirements, so there are no criminal convictions that would prevent him applying under Appendix FM.

There are more factors to consider when applying and there may be a different avenue for us to consider if there are more facts. For this reason, speaking to us and taking advantage of the free consultation, we offer over the phone would be a good starting point.

How we can help

If you have any immigration enquiry about spouse visas, unmarried partner visa or any visa issues including appeals and deportation appeals, our experienced and knowledgeable immigration solicitors are here to help so give us a call today at 020 3744 2797 or email us at

Immigration Enquiry

subscribe to email and newsletters
Reiss Edwards Reviews
5 out of 5 stars 394 Google+ Reviews
reivew immigration lawyer

Our Brochure

Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Arabic Brochure
Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Immigration related Testimonials

Investing over 2 million pounds is defintely not a routine decision. We had to make sure that the Tier 1 investor immigration lawyers london that we would be picking has to be one of the best within the Tier 1 investor category. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they were able to get us not only the Tier 1 investor visa but also suggested profitable investment portfolios in addition to what we already had in mind.
The Home Office refused my Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension application. This meant that my family and i would have to go back to Jordan and my business would close down. I needed a good immigration lawyer to put in a very strong appeal. I approached Reiss Edwards based on a friend's recommendation and they put together a very strong appeal. I read the grounds of appeal and I knew that this was a winner. A big thanks to Joe who worked tireless on my appeal.
I am glad that i instructed Reiss Edwards on my visa matter.

It started with a 20 minutes free immigration advice. I met with Amar to discuss my ILR refusal. He gave me a great deal of quality advice and decided to take on my messy case. I had doubts on the merits of my case by he was relatively convinced he could win it. That made me quite secure.

To be honest, things did not start as quick as I would have wanted, but they kept on communicating the process and state of things to me

A big thank you to Verusha and Foram. They were also very helpful. Brilliant and informative.

Their fee was fair and reasonable, especially if you compare them to other law firms and immigration law firms in London; some of whom even told me that i would not be able to get an indefinte leave to remain in this country.

The process was long but was worth it. In the end, a big thank you to Reiss Edwards.
I have just had British Citizenship application approved. Prior to making the application, i was not sure which law firm i should hire to facilitate the paperwork. After a few hours of research, i decided to go with Reiss Edwards and i must confess that i wasnt disappointed.

The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards handled my case well and they really knew what they were doing. They were fully aware of what documents I needed and it was easy for them to tell if my case was going to be easy or not.

At the end of the day, I have not received my British citizenship within 3 months.

If anyone is looking for a good immigration lawyer to handle thier case, contact Reiss Edwards.
Fantastic Solicitors!!!

My wife's spouse visa extension application was refused by the Home Office and they gave her 14 days to leave the country. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they said "OK don't worry we will sort this out". They put together the list of documents for me to obtain and they prepared a bundle which was as thick as the printer it came out from.

We followed everything they asked us to do and in the end we won our appeal and got our spouse visa.

We can't recommend them enough and we have promised ourselves never to make any more UK visa applications without them.
The team of lawyers at Reiss Edwards are very professional and friendly people. Their experience in and around UK immigration law is quite extensive; be sure that you application is in safe and competent hands. My immigration matter was an indefinite leave to remain application based on Tier 1 on a self-employment basis. The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards made sure that the application was perfect and ready to be accepted. I got a positive decision and I recommend them highly for anyone who needs a UK immigration help.
This is the only firm that i spoke with that didn't ask for money before listening to me, will be using them again.
I used Reiss Edwards for my Tier 2 visa application and it was successful. The team was ever present and happy to answer my question.

The caseworker that dealing with my case went on holiday yet by case did not suffer one bit. Another lawyer stepped and took over the case without any hassle.
My Tier 1 Investor Visa was dealt with quickly and without issue. Would recommend Reiss Edwards as an Immigration law firm in London. Thank you to the team.
I contacted Reiss Edwards to help me with my wifeÂ’s UK settlement visa. They acted with utmost professionalism throughout the entire application. I spoke with Joe Dinh, he is an immigration solicitor and he is one of the best solicitors out there. He ensured that there was little to no room for error. At some point I thought he was over cautious. He remained calmed and continued to assure us on our immigration matter. Most people in his position would have panicked but he was calmed and continued to assure us. We received out positive outcome very quickly.

Click to view all google reviews
I have been using Reiss Edwards for three years now for my family's immigration application. Both for my initial application and extension. They are really affordable. The team of solicitors at this firm are probably one of the most efficient and economical in terms of cost. They offered free advice over the phone and spent good time with us before inviting us for consultation.

Click to view all google reviews
Reiss Edwards is a top notch immigration service company. The way they handled our documentation and also the list of documents they sent was efficient and top quality. They helped us professionally throughout the process. We are very happy with the immigration advice we received from the team. We highly recommend them.

Click to view all google reviews
I used Reiss EdwardsÂ’ immigration lawyers to assist with my immigration matter and that of my family. It was an EX1 application. They dealt with the matter properly and even when complications were coming up from the Home Office, they helped resolve the issue properly. They are very professional and are very popular in London. I am happy to have worked with them.

Click to view all google reviews
It's a shame that you dont have an 'Excellent' star rating on here, as my experience with Reiss Edwards is nothing short of an excellent rating. They handled my application for an Indefinite Leave to remain in April 2014 and did my husband's one very recently including my daughter. Every time i have approached them, they have continued to treat me with courtesy, respect and patience. Amar was indeed a very thorough and professional gentleman. He is very knowledgeable, corporative and engaging. He responded to my emails, calls and enquiries promptly. He was always reassuring. I could not have asked for a better Immigration service.

I would recommend them over and over again for anyone looking for an immigration advice.

They gave me a free immigration advice when i called them, and the quality of the advice was something other charge thousands for. If you need a particular, name, Amar would be it. He exemplifies, for me, the true, professional gentleman. He is a valuable asset to Reiss Edwards.

Kind regards
Nancy Jacquard

Copyright © 2019 Immigration Lawyer London