How immigrants can find Tier 2 sponsoring jobs in the UK?
Disclaimer: as immigration lawyers, we are unable to help you to find a job in the UK. You must have a UK job offer in order to apply for a UK Skilled Worker visa (formerly Tier 2 visa). After that, we can handle your Skilled Worker visa application on your behalf.
A Tier 2 visa (now changes to Skilled Worker visa) allows foreign skilled workers with a job offer to live and work in the UK for up to 6 years. The duration of your visa will depend on the validity and duration of the work contract you are offered. To make an application for a Tier 2 visa, you will need to have received an offer of employment from an organisation that holds a Sponsor Licence. If they do not have one, you may still be able to proceed as long as the organisation is both willing and able to make an application for a Sponsor Licence.
As a foreign citizen, where do you start and how likely are you to successfully secure a working visa? The first question is, are you able to fill a skilled occupation that the Home Office defines as RFQ level 6 or above? If you cannot, at the time of writing this article, you will not be eligible for a Tier 2 visa. This requirement may be relaxed to include roles that fall below RFQ level 6, this may become increasingly important once the Free movement of people from the EU has ceased.
If you are trying to find a Tier 2 sponsor, you will find this article helpful as we take a look at tips on how you can find a Sponsor and how to make an application.
For more information about Skilled Worker visa, please check our latest guidance of Skilled Worker visa application.
To work in the UK, you will need to secure a job from a company that has a sponsor licence to bring in skilled workers from outside the UK. You’ll be assigned a certificate of sponsorship as evidence that your employer/ sponsor confirms you qualified and can effectively carry out the job they are hiring for. You will be given all the information needed to apply from your sponsor.
Foreign skilled workers applying from outside the UK will need to get a job offer from a company with a sponsor licence be able to apply for a Tier 2 visa. Students who are currently studying in the UK will need to secure a job offer from a licensed company before their student visa expires. An important part of the immigration rule for a Tier 2 visa is that the salary offered must meet up to the salary requirement for the job announced by the Home office.
To find sponsorship and get a Tier 2 Visa in the UK, I advise you put in your application with one or more companies in the UK with a sponsorship license, that way you increase your chances of getting sponsored for a job.
How long does it take to get a Tier 2 visa?
For applicants applying from outside of the UK, your Tier 2 visa application can be put in 3 months before you are to resume work in the UK. Your resumption date can be found on your certificate of sponsorship. If you are applying from outside of the UK, it is possible you can get a decision on your Tier 2 visa application within 3 weeks.
How long can I stay in the UK on a Tier 2 visa?
When you come into the UK on a Tier 2 visa, you can stay for up to 5 years, or the amount of time given on your work contract, this can be found on your certificate of sponsorship (maximum of 5 years). You can come into the UK 14 days earlier than your start date on your certificate of sponsorship.
Tips on how to apply for a Tier 2 sponsorship job
- You have to know the kind of industries you can target. You could send your applications to companies that offer professional services, investment banking, law, engineering, and financial services. Professional services and investment banking applicants from any educational background can get hired if they meet the academic requirements and undergo training for the job role.
- Find UK companies willing to sponsor Tier 2 immigrants. Go to job websites like Tier 2 Sponsors List to find companies with a sponsor licence. If you are looking to apply for a Tier 2 sponsored job, finding a company with a sponsor licence is easy and straightforward with the help of this tool.
To be able to find companies you can apply to, search for companies in top sponsoring industries and remember to check if these companies are in the Home office list of Tier 2 sponsors.
- If you are a student in the UK for a Bachelor’s degree, endeavor to start your job search, putting in your applications early because most companies recruit a year before their actual intake. For master’s students, you should start your job search immediately you arrive in the UK. If you plan to be on the list of a reputable company’s graduate scheme you should apply early and on time.
- Research about the UK job application process because these are steps companies and top firms take in recruiting workers. You need to be prepared to be able to achieve your goal of being recruited by these companies. There are different steps in the UK job application process which are;
- Online tests
- Application form and CV submission
- Interview, either via telephone or video
- Assessment centre
- Final interview
On a final note, remember when you are preparing your CV and writing a cover letter for a job application make sure it is professional and suits the job and company you are applying to. It will help if you practice with the online tests and also practice how to answer the various interview questions.