Getting Married On A Tier 4 Student Visa

Getting Married On A Tier 4 Student Visa

The urge to get married can come at any point during a relationship. For those who are living in the UK on a Tier 4 Student Visa, there may never be a better time to choose to get married. Of course we are not saying that you should come to the UK in order to get married, this is illegal and will almost certainly be found out about. No, we are talking about those in a genuine relationship choosing to take the next step and decide to spend the rest of their lives together. In this article, we are going to look at marriage for those on a Tier 4 Student Visa in detail. We will look at whether it is beneficial and if so, give you some tips and advice that can help to make the whole process easy and successful.

Marriage Rights For Tier 4 Student Visa Holders

So, the first question for those on a Tier 4 Student Visa in the UK is: can I get married? The simple answer to this is a resounding yes! There is nothing in the law that prevents two consenting adults in a genuine relationship getting married. This is one of the principal concerns for those who are currently in the UK on a Tier 4 Student Visa, but is actually very easy to settle. The main reason that people cannot get married in the UK is if there is a concern over the genuineness of their relationship rather than their visa status.

You will, however, still need to ensure that you meet all of the relevant guidelines for those who are looking to get married in the UK. You will need to prove that you live together and are in a relationship that is genuine. This is assessed at your local registry office who will inform the Home Office of your intention to marry and may carry out their own investigation. This investigation is to ensure that you are not using the marriage purely as a way of finding a route to remain in the country. The best way to settle the test of genuineness is by ensuring that you have lived together for a period of time. This allows you to build up a normal couple history and also ensures that there is no marriage of convenience. It is worth keeping lots of photos and documents that pertain to the relationship in order to back up your claim. If you are worried, please get in touch and our team can help to guide you in the types of proof that may help to prove that your relationship is a genuine one.

Marrying A British Citizen Or Someone With Indefinite Leave To Remain

One of the best reasons for getting married in the UK for Tier 4 Student Visa holders is the ability to stay in the country on a Spouse Visa. If your partner is a British citizen or has Indefinite Leave to Remain, you can apply for a Spouse Visa once you have married that will allow you to stay in the UK for an initial period of 2.5 years (as long as you have a joint income of at least £18,600) and also gives the option to extend/settle yourself in the future.

Of course if you are marrying someone who is either a British citizen or has Indefinite Leave to Remain, you should expect that the investigation into your relationship may be a little more detailed as you clearly have something to gain from it. As long as all is good, switching to the Spouse Visa is relatively straightforward and can give you an excellent option to remain in the UK at the end of your studies.

Spouse Visa Eligibility And Switching From Tier 4 Student Visa

Once you are married, you may or may not be eligible to switch to a Spouse Visa. If your spouse is either a British citizen or has Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, you will be entitled to switch from your current Tier 4 Student Visa to a Spouse Visa. The process for doing this is straightforward and you will be able to use much of the proof that was required for your marriage to subsequently apply for your visa. You will need to meet the eligibility criteria for the Spouse Visa as laid out below:

  • Combined income of at least £18,600 (if you have no children - if you do, you will need to earn extra £3,800 per year for the first child and £2,400 for each additional child)
  • You are in an eligible relationship (such as marriage or Civil Partnership)
  • You have lived together for at least two years prior to applying
  • A high level of English language skill (which will need to be proven)

This is not an exhaustive list of the eligibility criteria, merely the main points. There are exemptions to this, but many of these do not apply to those switching from a Tier 4 Student Visa. If you are concerned about any of the eligibility criteria for the Spouse Visa, or indeed you need help with an application or query, please get in touch today and our team will be happy to assist with your requirements. Our team has helped many people in positions just like yours to marry and settle in the UK. So trust us to help you to reach your potential.

Getting Further Help

If you need further help with a Tier 4 Student Visa or Spouse Visa issue then please get in touch. Our expert team have a long history of helping people from all walks of life to settle in the UK and they can certainly help you. So call today and get the expert immigration advice from Immigration solicitors that you need in order to settle your situation today.


Some of our happy clients



530 Reviews



Copyright © 2020 Immigration Lawyers London