uk immigration lawyers
uk immigration lawyers
Home / Blog

EEA Registration Certificate Processing Time

If you are looking to put down permanent roots in the UK and have the right eligibility then the EEA Registration Certificate is the ideal route for staying in the UK in order to live and work. In this article, we will look at the EEA Registration Certificate processing time, and look at the process of registering your EEA status in a little more detail. We will also look at the future of the scheme and what may replace it once Britain leaves the European Union.

What is the EEA Registration Certificate?

The EEA Registration Certificate was created so that extended family members of "qualified" persons could apply for leave to remain in the UK. The certificate is only required in this circumstance as the "qualified" person themselves does not actually require a certificate to prove their eligibility to remain in the UK.

The scheme has proved very popular and has been a very useful addition to the rights of those EEA citizens who would like to bring their extended family members to the UK to live and work. In many cases these extended family members would not have had an option to move to the UK and the certificate changed that.

Who is a qualified person?

A "qualified" person is a citizen of an EEA member country (or Switzerland) and one of the following:

  • working
  • studying
  • self-employed
  • self-sufficient
  • looking for work

As long as you fit the bill above then you yourself do not need a registration certificate but you are entitled to add an extended family member on to your application so that they may receive an EEA Registration Certificate that grants them leave to remain in the UK (for the time being). Please bear in mind that this will only be the case until the UK leaves the European Union. There are plans to replace the scheme so that the effect is minimal on those who already live in the UK, but at this point we do not know what the new scheme will entail.

How to apply as a family member of a "qualified person" (QP) and how long does processing take?

The "qualified" person will need to add you to their application. The application will need to be made online, but please be aware that there are some circumstances such as those laid out below that mean you may not be able to use this service:

  • Student
  • Self-sufficient
  • reliant on a family member for financial support
  • financially responsible for any other family members

In this case if the application cannot be made online then a form will need to be downloaded and an application made to UKVI. The fee (£65) will need to be paid at the time of application. You can also make a Premium application at an appropriate center, details for this service are available at You should, as with most UKVI applications, expect to wait at least 8 weeks before contacting them. They are extremely busy currently and it can take several months for an application to be processed.

Will an EEA Registration Certificate be valid after Britain leaves the EU?

Currently it is planned that the EEA Registration Certificate scheme will be curtailed once Britain leaves the European Union. There are plans to replace schemes that are currently in place for EEA citizens, but so far these have not been announced.

It is likely that although there are plans to assist EEA citizens in the future, there is so little that is known about the UK's immigration future after Brexit that posting any sort of information would be potentially catastrophic and hence they have chosen not to do so at this point in time. The only thing that we know for sure at this stage is that the scheme will be removed and current certificates will become invalid.

Will I be deported after the EEA Registration Certificate scheme comes to an end?

At this stage we do not know what the future will be for those on this certificate scheme. We would certainly guess that the Government will not deport those currently on the scheme due to the potential chaos that would ensue. But please do not take that as a fact, the current British government has shown an extreme willingness to remove people from the country, no matter how long they have lived here.

With all this in mind, it may now be an ideal time, if you can, to settle your immigration status in the UK. At this point we would urge you to get in touch with our immigration specialists to see if you have any eligibility criteria that would allow you to remain in the UK no matter what happens to the EEA Registration Certificate scheme.

What will replace the EEA Registration Certificate after Britain leaves the EU?

As stated above, it is impossible at this stage to guess at what provisions will be made for EEA citizens in the UK once freedom of movement has come to an end. At the moment this would be in 2020. Much of the UK's future with Europe is in the air, it is unknown at this point at which date freedom of movement will actually end. With this in mind it would be almost impossible to predict what will replace current programmes once Britain leaves the European Union.

If you are concerned at your future in the UK then please get in touch. Our Immigration specialists are only ever a phone call away and could make a whole world of difference to your Immigration status. So don't panic - get in touch. While we cannot promise to rectify every situation, we will promise that we will do our best to.

Where can I get more help?

If you need help with an EEA Registration Certificate enquiry then please, our immigration solicitors are experts in their field and can help to settle your situation. Indeed even if you have a different immigration query, please still get in touch and we will be able to help.

Immigration Enquiry

subscribe to email and newsletters
Reiss Edwards Reviews
5 out of 5 stars 360 Google+ Reviews
reivew immigration lawyer

Our Brochure

Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Arabic Brochure
Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Immigration related Testimonials

Investing over 2 million pounds is defintely not a routine decision. We had to make sure that the Tier 1 investor immigration lawyers london that we would be picking has to be one of the best within the Tier 1 investor category. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they were able to get us not only the Tier 1 investor visa but also suggested profitable investment portfolios in addition to what we already had in mind.
The Home Office refused my Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension application. This meant that my family and i would have to go back to Jordan and my business would close down. I needed a good immigration lawyer to put in a very strong appeal. I approached Reiss Edwards based on a friend's recommendation and they put together a very strong appeal. I read the grounds of appeal and I knew that this was a winner. A big thanks to Joe who worked tireless on my appeal.
I am glad that i instructed Reiss Edwards on my visa matter.

It started with a 20 minutes free immigration advice. I met with Amar to discuss my ILR refusal. He gave me a great deal of quality advice and decided to take on my messy case. I had doubts on the merits of my case by he was relatively convinced he could win it. That made me quite secure.

To be honest, things did not start as quick as I would have wanted, but they kept on communicating the process and state of things to me

A big thank you to Verusha and Foram. They were also very helpful. Brilliant and informative.

Their fee was fair and reasonable, especially if you compare them to other law firms and immigration law firms in London; some of whom even told me that i would not be able to get an indefinte leave to remain in this country.

The process was long but was worth it. In the end, a big thank you to Reiss Edwards.
I have just had British Citizenship application approved. Prior to making the application, i was not sure which law firm i should hire to facilitate the paperwork. After a few hours of research, i decided to go with Reiss Edwards and i must confess that i wasnt disappointed.

The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards handled my case well and they really knew what they were doing. They were fully aware of what documents I needed and it was easy for them to tell if my case was going to be easy or not.

At the end of the day, I have not received my British citizenship within 3 months.

If anyone is looking for a good immigration lawyer to handle thier case, contact Reiss Edwards.
Fantastic Solicitors!!!

My wife's spouse visa extension application was refused by the Home Office and they gave her 14 days to leave the country. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they said "OK don't worry we will sort this out". They put together the list of documents for me to obtain and they prepared a bundle which was as thick as the printer it came out from.

We followed everything they asked us to do and in the end we won our appeal and got our spouse visa.

We can't recommend them enough and we have promised ourselves never to make any more UK visa applications without them.
The team of lawyers at Reiss Edwards are very professional and friendly people. Their experience in and around UK immigration law is quite extensive; be sure that you application is in safe and competent hands. My immigration matter was an indefinite leave to remain application based on Tier 1 on a self-employment basis. The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards made sure that the application was perfect and ready to be accepted. I got a positive decision and I recommend them highly for anyone who needs a UK immigration help.
This is the only firm that i spoke with that didn't ask for money before listening to me, will be using them again.
I used Reiss Edwards for my Tier 2 visa application and it was successful. The team was ever present and happy to answer my question.

The caseworker that dealing with my case went on holiday yet by case did not suffer one bit. Another lawyer stepped and took over the case without any hassle.
My Tier 1 Investor Visa was dealt with quickly and without issue. Would recommend Reiss Edwards as an Immigration law firm in London. Thank you to the team.
I contacted Reiss Edwards to help me with my wife’s UK settlement visa. They acted with utmost professionalism throughout the entire application. I spoke with Joe Dinh, he is an immigration solicitor and he is one of the best solicitors out there. He ensured that there was little to no room for error. At some point I thought he was over cautious. He remained calmed and continued to assure us on our immigration matter. Most people in his position would have panicked but he was calmed and continued to assure us. We received out positive outcome very quickly.

Click to view all google reviews
I have been using Reiss Edwards for three years now for my family's immigration application. Both for my initial application and extension. They are really affordable. The team of solicitors at this firm are probably one of the most efficient and economical in terms of cost. They offered free advice over the phone and spent good time with us before inviting us for consultation.

Click to view all google reviews
Reiss Edwards is a top notch immigration service company. The way they handled our documentation and also the list of documents they sent was efficient and top quality. They helped us professionally throughout the process. We are very happy with the immigration advice we received from the team. We highly recommend them.

Click to view all google reviews
I used Reiss Edwards’ immigration lawyers to assist with my immigration matter and that of my family. It was an EX1 application. They dealt with the matter properly and even when complications were coming up from the Home Office, they helped resolve the issue properly. They are very professional and are very popular in London. I am happy to have worked with them.

Click to view all google reviews
It's a shame that you dont have an 'Excellent' star rating on here, as my experience with Reiss Edwards is nothing short of an excellent rating. They handled my application for an Indefinite Leave to remain in April 2014 and did my husband's one very recently including my daughter. Every time i have approached them, they have continued to treat me with courtesy, respect and patience. Amar was indeed a very thorough and professional gentleman. He is very knowledgeable, corporative and engaging. He responded to my emails, calls and enquiries promptly. He was always reassuring. I could not have asked for a better Immigration service.

I would recommend them over and over again for anyone looking for an immigration advice.

They gave me a free immigration advice when i called them, and the quality of the advice was something other charge thousands for. If you need a particular, name, Amar would be it. He exemplifies, for me, the true, professional gentleman. He is a valuable asset to Reiss Edwards.

Kind regards
Nancy Jacquard

Copyright © 2019 Immigration Lawyer London