What To Do If Your Child Is About To Turn 18 And You Are In The UK Illegally

What To Do If Your Child Is About To Turn 18 And You Are In The UK Illegally

People end up in the UK for all manner of reasons, perhaps their home country is no longer safe or they have come to the UK to get a better life for their family. Whatever the case is, you will probably be worried about what happens when one of your children turns 18 while being in the UK as an illegal immigrant. In this article, we will look at the options for those with children who are soon going to turn 18 years of age and be legally considered an adult in the UK while residing here illegally.

My child is about to turn 18 in the UK and we are here illegally, what are our options?

Among the first issues you will have to worry about is, Is the child British? If the child is considered British under the law then you will be able to apply for British citizenship for them. Having British citizenship will prevent them being removed from the country. In this instance at least one of their parents needs to have "settled status". If you are here illegally then this is probably not going to describe your situation and you will need to look at other alternatives.

Another option is if the child was born in the UK and has spent the first 10 years of their life here. In this instance the status of the parents is not important and the child will be able to become a British citizen via registration. You will need to bear in mind that the child must not have spent more than 90 days outside of the country in any of those 10 years to qualify. Once your child receives British citizenship, your prospects will also improve and you may then be able to settle your own situation as the parent of a British citizen.

What if we cannot register our child as a British citizen?

The situation will be quite a lot trickier if your child does not qualify as a British citizen (i.e. they were born abroad to foreign parents who are in the UK illegally). You may have a case under human rights grounds. In this situation there will be a case for saying that it would contravene your human rights to send you and your child/children back to your country of origin. In this case it is usually that your country of origin would not be safe to return to. If this is the case then please get in touch and we can discuss your options.

It is important that you settle your status as quickly as possible. The Home Office will be more able to help you if you settle your situation earlier - as will we. We understand that trying to deal with this situation may be scary, but by waiting until your child/children are over 18, you are only making the situation worse. If you would like to get on top of your immigration problems then please get in touch. Our expert immigration advisors can help to sort out your situation and come to a resolution.

Will we be removed from the country if the Home Office find out we are here illegally?

This is very possible and the reason that you need to sort out your situation as soon as possible. We understand the fear of being found out and know that by tackling your situation, you will get a far better result than trying to ignore it and carry on. These days it is getting harder and harder to avoid detection as an illegal immigrant in the UK and you could be discovered at any time. In this situation you are highly liable to be removed from the UK forcefully and denied any right to return in the near future. If you have family here then this possibility can be extremely damaging to you.

While you may not be forcefully removed from the country (there are a lot of factors that come into the decision), you may well be detained for a period of time before the decision is made. By coming to us at the earliest opportunity, you can ensure that you have the best chance of a successful resolution. We will take a holistic view of your case and try to find a way for you to move forward that will keep you in the country for the long-term.

What are the options for illegal immigrants to become legal in the UK?

This is going to depend heavily on where you have come from, how you got to the UK and what you have done since being here. It is hard to give a one-size fits all answer as every situation is different. Some people may be entitled to seek asylum, some may have other options such as applying for a work visa, whatever the case, getting assistance from qualified immigration specialists will help to settle your case quickly and give you the best chance of a successful resolution that allows you to stay in the UK for the long-term.

There are nearly always options for illegal immigrants who are in the UK and by getting in touch, we can help you to discover the best way for you to proceed. We can help with applications for those who may struggle and provide a wraparound service for those in need.

Where can I get more help?

If you need help to sort your immigration status then please get in touch. Our expert immigration solicitors can help to get your situation under control and give you the peace of mind that you are looking for. So, for more information on our services or to get started with a consultation, please get in touch.

Some of our happy clients



530 Reviews



Copyright © 2020 Immigration Lawyers London