uk immigration lawyers
uk immigration lawyers

Changing Jobs Whilst on a Tier 2 Visa

Working on a Tier 2 visa can be a tricky business, so you may be unsure of what you can and cannot do in relation to switching employers (or even industries). In this article, we'll focus on what you can do if you are looking to move on from your current role and the impact it could have on your visa.

Can I Change Jobs While on a Tier 2 Visa?

Yes. Even though your visa relies on sponsorship from your current employer, it is far from impossible to move on to a different company. However there are drawbacks to changing employers which you must take into account when considering your moving.

So, What Are the Drawbacks of Changing Jobs While on a Tier 2 Visa?

Firstly, you will have to apply for a new visa. You will also need to track down a new employer and get them to offer you a new Certificate of Sponsorship so you can make a brand new visa application.

It is also very difficult to find employers who offer Certificates of Sponsorship. From here it's best to consult the government's database of sponsor licence holders to help narrow down the search to specific sectors and areas. It can be very difficult to find employers in the mainstream marketplace, so a database like this would be ideal for new job seekers.

Can I Change Jobs Without Applying for a New Visa?

Unfortunately, this will not be possible. Since your sponsor plays a part in your visa application, your visa becomes invalid once you cease working for them. You must then submit a new application with your new Certificate of Sponsorship from your new prospective employer.

It is important that you have continual employment while you remain in the UK, which is why you must have a Certificate of Sponsorship. Sponsor licence holders are responsible for you while you work as part of their business. As a result of this employers haves a number of conditions they need to abide by to issue out sponsor licences.

Where Can I Find a New Employer?

There are numerous job sites in the UK wherein you can find your next employer, but trying to find a site which specifies a sponsor license holder will be difficult. Fortunately, the government maintains a database of sponsor licence holders that you can access to find a new prospective employer in your industry. It may also be worth speaking to employment agencies who tend to be very well informed about their clients and can help to point you in the right direction.

How We Can Help

If you are considering leaving your current role to take on a new one and you need some advice on your visa status, do not hesitate to get in touch with one of our expert immigration lawyers. Our specialist solicitors can help assist you in submitting a new application with your new Certificate of Sponsorship.

Immigration Enquiry

Subscribe to email and newsletters

Reiss Edwards Reviews
4.9 out of 5 stars 481 Google+ Reviews
reivew immigration lawyer

Our Brochure

Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Arabic Brochure
Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure




530 Reviews


Copyright © 2020 Immigration Lawyer London