uk immigration lawyers
uk immigration lawyers
Home / Blog

Disability living allowance rates: Are there benefits?

The UK is known internationally for ensuring that none of its citizens falls through the safety net and into abject poverty. The UK achieves this aim by using the welfare system to ensure that all citizens who need financial assistance are taken care of. One of the ways in which the welfare system works in the UK to help people is with disability payments. In this article, we will look at disability benefits for those living in the UK and help to establish who is eligible for them and how they can be claimed.

Who is eligible for disability benefits in the UK?

The UK's Disability Living Allowance benefit is split into two seperate areas: the care component and the mobility component. The care component is for people who need help with basic things like getting washed and dressed, they can't communicate their needs, they are a danger to themselves or are on dialysis. There are three levels of the care component of Disability Living Allowance that reflect the level of need. The mobility component of Disability Living Allowance is for people who struggle to walk, this covers a large variety of conditions and this is also reflected by two different levels of benefit.

Moving forward, the UK has decided to change the current system from Disability Living Allowance to PIP (Personal Independence Payment). All new claims will be for the new benefit and you can no longer apply for Disability Living Allowance. The new options are: the daily living part and the mobility part, the rates have been changed slightly, as has the way in which assessment is carried out. Both of the components of PIP have only two levels of payment.

What are the disability benefit rates in the UK?

The rates for Disability Living Allowance are as follows:

Care component - £22.65 (lower) £57.30 (medium) £85.60 (higher)

Mobility component £22.65 (lower) £59.75 (higher)

The new PIP system has the following rates of pay:

Daily living part The weekly rate for the daily living part of PIP is either £57.30 or £85.60. Mobility part The weekly rate for the mobility part of PIP is either £22.65 or £59.75.

I'm a foreign national, how do I know if I am eligible?

For foreign nationals the eligibility criteria is simple, if you're under immigration control (i.e. on a current visa) you will not be entitled to access public funds such as disability benefits. If you have gained Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you should be able to claim as long as you have been assessed. The assessment will ensure that you are entitled to make a claim and you will find out shortly after whether you are entitled to the new benefit.

The Government has ensured that the criteria has been tightened and at least anecdotally, many claim it is now significantly more difficult to claim the benefit than it has been in the past. The Government is actively trying to reduce how much is paid out in benefits and the changes reflect this attitude. It is important that you check your eligibility before making a claim, you will be quickly rejected if you are not eligible.

I've gained Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), can I claim disability benefits?

As long as you have been assessed as having a need for them then yes. Those with Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) are no longer subject to immigration controls and can therefore claim benefits in the UK. You must ensure though that if you are planning to claim for someone else such as a child or a partner, that they are also no longer under immigration control as this may change the outcome.

If you are in any doubt as to whether or not you are still under immigration control then please get in touch. Our immigration solicitors will be able to confirm whether or not you would be eligible to claim for benefits in the UK.

I've just arrived in the UK, can I claim disability benefits?

Unfortunately no, you would need to be normally resident in the UK for at least two of the last three years and if you are under immigration control then it's very unlikely that you would qualify at all for welfare benefits. One of the terms of most visas is that you cannot claim public funds and this covers welfare benefits in the UK.

How do I make a claim for disability benefits?

To make a claim for PIP or if you are currently in receipt of Disability Living Allowance and need to switch, please call the DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) who are responsible for welfare benefits in the UK. They will send you a form that needs to be filled out and once completed, it will need to be returned to them. Once they have received the form back, they will decide on how to proceed. If you are eligible, the DWP will send you for an assessment to help to decide on what level you should receive.

The assessment will take into account your history and current situation and there a decision will be made as to whether or not you qualify for a claim, then it will be down to the DWP to decide on the level. If you are turned down, you can appeal. If you would like to discuss this, please get in touch and we can help.

Where can I get more help?

If you need help navigating the UK's immigration or welfare systems then please get in touch. Our immigration solicitors have a wealth of knowledge and experience of the system that they can put to use in helping you. So, for more information or to get started using our services, get in touch today and we can begin to work on your case.

Immigration Enquiry

subscribe to email and newsletters
Reiss Edwards Reviews
5 out of 5 stars 394 Google+ Reviews
reivew immigration lawyer

Our Brochure

Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Arabic Brochure
Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Immigration related Testimonials

Investing over 2 million pounds is defintely not a routine decision. We had to make sure that the Tier 1 investor immigration lawyers london that we would be picking has to be one of the best within the Tier 1 investor category. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they were able to get us not only the Tier 1 investor visa but also suggested profitable investment portfolios in addition to what we already had in mind.
The Home Office refused my Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension application. This meant that my family and i would have to go back to Jordan and my business would close down. I needed a good immigration lawyer to put in a very strong appeal. I approached Reiss Edwards based on a friend's recommendation and they put together a very strong appeal. I read the grounds of appeal and I knew that this was a winner. A big thanks to Joe who worked tireless on my appeal.
I am glad that i instructed Reiss Edwards on my visa matter.

It started with a 20 minutes free immigration advice. I met with Amar to discuss my ILR refusal. He gave me a great deal of quality advice and decided to take on my messy case. I had doubts on the merits of my case by he was relatively convinced he could win it. That made me quite secure.

To be honest, things did not start as quick as I would have wanted, but they kept on communicating the process and state of things to me

A big thank you to Verusha and Foram. They were also very helpful. Brilliant and informative.

Their fee was fair and reasonable, especially if you compare them to other law firms and immigration law firms in London; some of whom even told me that i would not be able to get an indefinte leave to remain in this country.

The process was long but was worth it. In the end, a big thank you to Reiss Edwards.
I have just had British Citizenship application approved. Prior to making the application, i was not sure which law firm i should hire to facilitate the paperwork. After a few hours of research, i decided to go with Reiss Edwards and i must confess that i wasnt disappointed.

The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards handled my case well and they really knew what they were doing. They were fully aware of what documents I needed and it was easy for them to tell if my case was going to be easy or not.

At the end of the day, I have not received my British citizenship within 3 months.

If anyone is looking for a good immigration lawyer to handle thier case, contact Reiss Edwards.
Fantastic Solicitors!!!

My wife's spouse visa extension application was refused by the Home Office and they gave her 14 days to leave the country. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they said "OK don't worry we will sort this out". They put together the list of documents for me to obtain and they prepared a bundle which was as thick as the printer it came out from.

We followed everything they asked us to do and in the end we won our appeal and got our spouse visa.

We can't recommend them enough and we have promised ourselves never to make any more UK visa applications without them.
The team of lawyers at Reiss Edwards are very professional and friendly people. Their experience in and around UK immigration law is quite extensive; be sure that you application is in safe and competent hands. My immigration matter was an indefinite leave to remain application based on Tier 1 on a self-employment basis. The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards made sure that the application was perfect and ready to be accepted. I got a positive decision and I recommend them highly for anyone who needs a UK immigration help.
This is the only firm that i spoke with that didn't ask for money before listening to me, will be using them again.
I used Reiss Edwards for my Tier 2 visa application and it was successful. The team was ever present and happy to answer my question.

The caseworker that dealing with my case went on holiday yet by case did not suffer one bit. Another lawyer stepped and took over the case without any hassle.
My Tier 1 Investor Visa was dealt with quickly and without issue. Would recommend Reiss Edwards as an Immigration law firm in London. Thank you to the team.
I contacted Reiss Edwards to help me with my wife’s UK settlement visa. They acted with utmost professionalism throughout the entire application. I spoke with Joe Dinh, he is an immigration solicitor and he is one of the best solicitors out there. He ensured that there was little to no room for error. At some point I thought he was over cautious. He remained calmed and continued to assure us on our immigration matter. Most people in his position would have panicked but he was calmed and continued to assure us. We received out positive outcome very quickly.

Click to view all google reviews
I have been using Reiss Edwards for three years now for my family's immigration application. Both for my initial application and extension. They are really affordable. The team of solicitors at this firm are probably one of the most efficient and economical in terms of cost. They offered free advice over the phone and spent good time with us before inviting us for consultation.

Click to view all google reviews
Reiss Edwards is a top notch immigration service company. The way they handled our documentation and also the list of documents they sent was efficient and top quality. They helped us professionally throughout the process. We are very happy with the immigration advice we received from the team. We highly recommend them.

Click to view all google reviews
I used Reiss Edwards’ immigration lawyers to assist with my immigration matter and that of my family. It was an EX1 application. They dealt with the matter properly and even when complications were coming up from the Home Office, they helped resolve the issue properly. They are very professional and are very popular in London. I am happy to have worked with them.

Click to view all google reviews
It's a shame that you dont have an 'Excellent' star rating on here, as my experience with Reiss Edwards is nothing short of an excellent rating. They handled my application for an Indefinite Leave to remain in April 2014 and did my husband's one very recently including my daughter. Every time i have approached them, they have continued to treat me with courtesy, respect and patience. Amar was indeed a very thorough and professional gentleman. He is very knowledgeable, corporative and engaging. He responded to my emails, calls and enquiries promptly. He was always reassuring. I could not have asked for a better Immigration service.

I would recommend them over and over again for anyone looking for an immigration advice.

They gave me a free immigration advice when i called them, and the quality of the advice was something other charge thousands for. If you need a particular, name, Amar would be it. He exemplifies, for me, the true, professional gentleman. He is a valuable asset to Reiss Edwards.

Kind regards
Nancy Jacquard

Copyright © 2019 Immigration Lawyer London