Leave this empty:


"A refugee is a person who 'owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality, and is unable ...

Refugee Convention

Refugee Convention means the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees 1951 and the 1967 Protocol.

Refugee status

Refugee status is awarded to someone the Home Office recognises as a refugee as described in the Refugee Convention. A person given refugee status is normally granted leave to remain in the UK for 5 years, and at the end of ...


The process whereby those under 18 years of age can acquire British citizenship if they meet certain requirements

Registration Certificates

Registration Certificates are issued to EEA nationals to confirm that they are exercising a treaty right. EEA nationals are not obliged to apply for a registration certificate.

Registration of minors as citizens

A process by which minor children can become British citizens without applying for it on their own; includes but not limited to children born in the UK to non-British parents.


Removal is a process whereby immigration officers enforce return from the UK to another country.  

Removal Directions

A legal document issued by  UK Visas and Immigration telling you the date, time and flight number of an enforced removal.

Removal of time limit

Removal of time limit is administrative action resulting in a non-EEA national being granted indefinite leave to remain.


Government-authorized and enforced departures of foreign nationals without legal permission to remain in the UK.

Removals and voluntary departure

Removals and voluntary departure figures include enforced removals, notified voluntary departures, persons leaving under Assisted Voluntary Return Programmes and, since 2005, 'other voluntary departures'. It also includes non-asylum cases refused entry at port and subsequently removed.


Most asylum seekers who are not detained are expected to report to a reporting centre or police station.


Resettlement if the process whereby refugees living outside their country of origin are moved to another country for permanent resettlement. See Gateway Protection Programme.


The place where someone lives (resides) and makes their home.

Residence Card

Residence cards are issued to non-EEA national family members of an EEA national. A residence card confirms their status as a family member of an EEA national and is usually issued for a period of 5 years.

Residence cards

Residence cards are issued to non-EEA national family members of an EEA national when sought. It confirms their status as a family member of an EEA national and is normally issued for a period of five years.

Residence permit

This is a document issued to EEA nationals by the Home Office entitling the EEA national and their dependents to reside and work in the UK.

Resident worker

A person who is either British, has ILR or is an EEA national


If you are defending an appeal, you are the respondent. If you are appealing a decision of the Home Office, the Home Office will be the respondent. If you win your appeal and the Home Office gets permission to appeal ...


To go back to a previous state. In the context of immigration, retrogression is when somebody's place in line for a green card moves backward instead of forward.

Returning resident

A returning resident is someone who has left the UK and has been given permission to return to the UK to live, with no restriction on their time. This applies if you have settled status in the UK are returning ...


To cancel, reverse, or take something back. In the context of immigration, for example, the government can revoke a visa if the visa holder is no longer eligible.

Right of abode

"Right of abode means that you are free from United Kingdom immigration control and you do not need permission from an Immigration Officer to enter the UK. You are allowed to live and work in the UK without restriction. This ...

Right to reside

"Right to reside An individual has the right to reside in the UK if they are: €¢ a UK national or from the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland; €¢ from the European Economic Area (...

Some of our happy clients



530 Reviews



Copyright © 2020 Immigration Lawyers London