uk immigration lawyers
uk immigration lawyers

Spouse Sponsorship Visa Application Requirements

If you are looking to move to the UK to join a partner or a spouse, then you will need to gain a Spouse Visa. In this article, we will look at the Spouse Visa in a little more detail and look at the specific requirements for the visa to ensure that you have the best chance possible of success in applying. We will also look at what to do if things don't go quite to plan and offer some practical advice for those looking at the visa.

Can my partner or spouse sponsor my Spouse Visa application to the UK?

Yes, your partner or spouse can sponsor your Spouse Visa application as long as they fall into one of the following categories:

  • There are a British citizen
  • They have settled in the UK and have "Indefinite Leave to Remain" or proof of permanent residence
  • They have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

As long as your partner fits one of these categories you will be able to apply for a Spouse Visa. You will be required to intend to live together in the UK after you move here (if you're not here already) and you will also be required to prove the existence of your relationship.

How do we prove that our relationship is genuine?

There are a few ways in which you can prove that your relationship is genuine, one of the following should be sufficient:

  • You are in a civil partnership or marriage that is applicable in UK
  • You've lived together for at least two years
  • You are a fiance or proposed civil partner and will enter into a marriage or civil partnership within 6 months of arriving in the UK

There will be some people who can't quite match this criteria exactly, in the following section we will look at what to do if you do not fit these exact requirements as you may still be eligible to apply.

What if we don't precisely match this criteria?

For the vast majority of couples, the usual requirements will not cause any issues, but there are other options if you don't exactly meet these requirements. In the following situations, you may be able to still apply for a spouse visa:

  • You have a child in the UK who is a British citizen or has lived in the UK for 7 years
  • You would not be able to continue your relationship if you remained outside of the UK
  • It would breach your human rights

If you are unsure whether you fit any of this criteria then please get in touch and our immigration specialists will be happy to help and to talk to you through the application process.

How long can I stay in the UK for on a Spouse Visa?

You will initially be given a period of two and a half years if you apply a via the Spouse Visa route. If you apply via the fiance route then you'll be given six months in order to get married or enter your civil partnership at which point you would then be able to apply for a Spouse Visa and receive the two and a half years that you get with a Spouse Visa.

If you are successful in your application, you can then extend at the end of the initial two and a half years for a further two and a half years. At this point you will be able to apply for "Indefinite Leave to Remain" (ILR) in the UK as you would have built up five years of continuous stay in the UK (will depend on any absences that you have had in that period).

Can I work on a Spouse Visa?

Yes, absolutely you can work on a Spouse Visa. The Spouse Visa is one of the very few visas which has few limitations to it and for this reason it is extremely popular. The lack of limitation is also the reason why you will need to have significant proof of your relationship is genuine. Over the years the rules of the Spouse Visa have been tightened due to its beneficial terms.

How do I apply for a Spouse Visa?

The method of application would depend on where you are currently based. If you are based outside of the UK, you must apply online. But if you are based inside the UK you have the option of either applying in person, by filling out a form or you can also choose to apply online. You would need to pay the appropriate fee at the time of application and you will also need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge which covers your use of the National Health Service during your stay in the UK.

What happens if I'm turned down for a visa?

If you are turned down for a Spouse Visa in the UK, you may well have the ability to appeal the decision, if that's the case then you may want to speak to us at this stage so that we can talk you through the process of an appeal and help you put a case together. Please bear in mind that the appeal process can be extremely long.

There are alternatives to appealing - you could, in many circumstances, switch to using an alternative visa route such as the Tier 2 General visa, but in that case you would need to work for a specific Tier 2 Sponsor Licence holder who can sponsor your stay in the UK for a defined period of time. To discuss your options, please get in touch and talk to one of our advisors.

Where can I go for more help?

If you need more help with a Spouse Visa application or indeed any other immigration query, please get in touch and our immigration specialists will be happy to help you with your case. We have years of experience in helping people just like you to live and work in the UK and can certainly help you. So get in touch today and let us begin to work on your case.

  • working
  • studying
  • Self-employed
  • Self-sufficient
  • looking for work

As long as you qualify under any of the above scenarios, you will be entitled to make an application for Permanent Residence in the UK.

What is the eligibility criteria for the EEA Permanent Residence permit?

As stated above, you will need to either be an EEA citizen or a "qualified person" these two terms usually mean the same thing. The only exception is when you are a family member of an EEA citizen but are not originally from the EEA yourself. This is often as the result of marriages. This list below covers the extended family members that are allowed to apply for Permanent Residence:

  • Brother or sister
  • Cousin
  • Aunt or uncle
  • Niece or nephew
  • Relative by marriage
  • Unmarried partner from a long-term relationship

As long as you fall under any of these criteria, you should be able to apply for Permanent Residence in the UK. If you need to check eligibility, please get in touch and our immigration specialists will be happy to talk to you about your individual case.

What is likely to replace the EEA Permanent Residence permit?

At this stage it is pretty hard to imagine what the future strategy will be of the British government. So far the Government have struggled to put together a coherent plan on the future of freedom of movement to and from the EEA and there is still plenty to discuss for the negotiators who are currently dealing with Britain's exit from the European Union.

What is clear is that there will be a transitional period after the date of Britain's official exit from the European Union in March 2019. This transitional period is required to deal with the huge changes that are required for the UK to change the many rules and regulations that it has that are currently harmonised alongside the EU. In many cases, the UK will simply copy and paste laws into its own constitution. But immigration is a huge topic and will undoubtedly look very different after the UK completely exits from the bloc. The British government has though repeatedly assured that current EEA citizens in the UK will be unaffected by any changes.

How much does it cost?

The application fee is £65 per applicant and is payable at the time that the application is made. You can make an application by either using a form that can be downloaded from the website or you can make an application in person at a premium service centre. If you need help with your application then please get in touch and we can help you.

Where can I get more help?

If you need more help with a Permanent Residence application, or indeed any other visa or immigration query then please get in touch. Our experienced immigration solicitors can help with your case and can offer advice and support to assist with your situation. So, for more information, or to get started using our services, please get in touch and we'll be happy to help.

Immigration Enquiry

subscribe to email and newsletters
Reiss Edwards Reviews
5 out of 5 stars 394 Google+ Reviews
reivew immigration lawyer

Our Brochure

Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Arabic Brochure
Reiss Edwards immigration lawyers brochure

Immigration related Testimonials

Investing over 2 million pounds is defintely not a routine decision. We had to make sure that the Tier 1 investor immigration lawyers london that we would be picking has to be one of the best within the Tier 1 investor category. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they were able to get us not only the Tier 1 investor visa but also suggested profitable investment portfolios in addition to what we already had in mind.
The Home Office refused my Tier 1 Entrepreneur extension application. This meant that my family and i would have to go back to Jordan and my business would close down. I needed a good immigration lawyer to put in a very strong appeal. I approached Reiss Edwards based on a friend's recommendation and they put together a very strong appeal. I read the grounds of appeal and I knew that this was a winner. A big thanks to Joe who worked tireless on my appeal.
I am glad that i instructed Reiss Edwards on my visa matter.

It started with a 20 minutes free immigration advice. I met with Amar to discuss my ILR refusal. He gave me a great deal of quality advice and decided to take on my messy case. I had doubts on the merits of my case by he was relatively convinced he could win it. That made me quite secure.

To be honest, things did not start as quick as I would have wanted, but they kept on communicating the process and state of things to me

A big thank you to Verusha and Foram. They were also very helpful. Brilliant and informative.

Their fee was fair and reasonable, especially if you compare them to other law firms and immigration law firms in London; some of whom even told me that i would not be able to get an indefinte leave to remain in this country.

The process was long but was worth it. In the end, a big thank you to Reiss Edwards.
I have just had British Citizenship application approved. Prior to making the application, i was not sure which law firm i should hire to facilitate the paperwork. After a few hours of research, i decided to go with Reiss Edwards and i must confess that i wasnt disappointed.

The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards handled my case well and they really knew what they were doing. They were fully aware of what documents I needed and it was easy for them to tell if my case was going to be easy or not.

At the end of the day, I have not received my British citizenship within 3 months.

If anyone is looking for a good immigration lawyer to handle thier case, contact Reiss Edwards.
Fantastic Solicitors!!!

My wife's spouse visa extension application was refused by the Home Office and they gave her 14 days to leave the country. We contacted Reiss Edwards and they said "OK don't worry we will sort this out". They put together the list of documents for me to obtain and they prepared a bundle which was as thick as the printer it came out from.

We followed everything they asked us to do and in the end we won our appeal and got our spouse visa.

We can't recommend them enough and we have promised ourselves never to make any more UK visa applications without them.
The team of lawyers at Reiss Edwards are very professional and friendly people. Their experience in and around UK immigration law is quite extensive; be sure that you application is in safe and competent hands. My immigration matter was an indefinite leave to remain application based on Tier 1 on a self-employment basis. The immigration lawyers at Reiss Edwards made sure that the application was perfect and ready to be accepted. I got a positive decision and I recommend them highly for anyone who needs a UK immigration help.
This is the only firm that i spoke with that didn't ask for money before listening to me, will be using them again.
I used Reiss Edwards for my Tier 2 visa application and it was successful. The team was ever present and happy to answer my question.

The caseworker that dealing with my case went on holiday yet by case did not suffer one bit. Another lawyer stepped and took over the case without any hassle.
My Tier 1 Investor Visa was dealt with quickly and without issue. Would recommend Reiss Edwards as an Immigration law firm in London. Thank you to the team.
I contacted Reiss Edwards to help me with my wife’s UK settlement visa. They acted with utmost professionalism throughout the entire application. I spoke with Joe Dinh, he is an immigration solicitor and he is one of the best solicitors out there. He ensured that there was little to no room for error. At some point I thought he was over cautious. He remained calmed and continued to assure us on our immigration matter. Most people in his position would have panicked but he was calmed and continued to assure us. We received out positive outcome very quickly.

Click to view all google reviews
I have been using Reiss Edwards for three years now for my family's immigration application. Both for my initial application and extension. They are really affordable. The team of solicitors at this firm are probably one of the most efficient and economical in terms of cost. They offered free advice over the phone and spent good time with us before inviting us for consultation.

Click to view all google reviews
Reiss Edwards is a top notch immigration service company. The way they handled our documentation and also the list of documents they sent was efficient and top quality. They helped us professionally throughout the process. We are very happy with the immigration advice we received from the team. We highly recommend them.

Click to view all google reviews
I used Reiss Edwards’ immigration lawyers to assist with my immigration matter and that of my family. It was an EX1 application. They dealt with the matter properly and even when complications were coming up from the Home Office, they helped resolve the issue properly. They are very professional and are very popular in London. I am happy to have worked with them.

Click to view all google reviews
It's a shame that you dont have an 'Excellent' star rating on here, as my experience with Reiss Edwards is nothing short of an excellent rating. They handled my application for an Indefinite Leave to remain in April 2014 and did my husband's one very recently including my daughter. Every time i have approached them, they have continued to treat me with courtesy, respect and patience. Amar was indeed a very thorough and professional gentleman. He is very knowledgeable, corporative and engaging. He responded to my emails, calls and enquiries promptly. He was always reassuring. I could not have asked for a better Immigration service.

I would recommend them over and over again for anyone looking for an immigration advice.

They gave me a free immigration advice when i called them, and the quality of the advice was something other charge thousands for. If you need a particular, name, Amar would be it. He exemplifies, for me, the true, professional gentleman. He is a valuable asset to Reiss Edwards.

Kind regards
Nancy Jacquard

Copyright © 2019 Immigration Lawyer London