Start typing and hit "Enter" to search.
immigration solicitors near me

IR-2 Visa: Applying For A Green Card For Children Under 21

If you reside in the United States and you have a child in another country, you may be considering the best option for them to lawfully join and live with you. There are many reasons why this may happen; it might be that you have adopted a child from another country, or you may have a child who was born overseas and still lives thereafter you have returned to the US. It may also be that you yourself are an immigrant who has acquired citizenship in the US and wish to bring your child to live with you, perhaps after gaining custody. Whatever the reason, it is important to seek expert advice of an immigration lawyer to ensure you choose the best route for your child. The most likely immigration option for those in this situation is the IR-2 child visa. In this article, we will explain how the IR-2 child visa works, the eligibility rules, and how to apply.

What Is The IR-2 Visa?

The IR-2 visa provides a Green Card for children under the age of 21 who are immediate relatives (IR) of a US citizen to enter and live in the United States. As the USCIS rules state, “If you are an immediate relative of a US citizen, you can become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card) based on your family relationship if you meet certain eligibility requirements”. Immediate relatives include:

  • The spouse of a US citizen;
  • The unmarried child under 21 years of age of a US citizen; or
  • The parent of a US citizen (if the US citizen is 21 years of age or older).

Under this immigration route, it is possible to bring your biological, step and adopted children to live with you in the United States. There is no set limit on the number of IR-2 visas which can be granted by USCIS.

What Are The Eligibility Rules For An IR-2 Visa?

In order to apply for an IR-2 child visa, there are several eligibility criteria that must be met:

  • The child must be under 21
  • The child must not be married
  • The sponsor of the child must be a US citizen
  • The sponsor must hold legal custody (in a form that is recognised under US law) – this custody must have been held for at least two years
  • The sponsor must have resided with the child for a period of at least two years prior to the submission of the Green Card application form (this assumes the child is not adopted)

In terms of the relationship of the child to the US citizen, there are four eligibility categories:

  • The applicant child is a natural-born child of parents who are married, and one of those parents is a US citizen.
  • The applicant is a natural-born child of parents who are not married, and one of those parents is a US citizen. In this case, USCIS may ask for a paternity test to be carried out if the father is sponsoring the child.
  • The applicant has been adopted by a sponsor who is a US citizen
  • The applicant is a step-child of a sponsor who is a US citizen

It is always advisable to speak to an immigration attorney before submitting an IR-2 application to confirm that the eligibility rules are met to the standard required by the USCIS. Where there any issues in terms of proving eligibility, they will be able to recommend a course of action to ensure your application will be successful.

How Do I Apply For An IR-2 Visa For My Child To Join Me In The United States?

There are several steps that you will need to complete in order to secure the immigration permission needed to bring your child to the US, as follows:

Step 1) Complete and submit form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)

The purpose of form I-130 is to enable US citizens and or lawful permanent residents (LPR) to establish their relationship with an eligible relative, allowing them to enter the US and remain on a permanent basis with a Green Card.

Once your I-130 is submitted, it will be processed and considered by USCIS. Once approved, the National Visa Centre handling the case will advise the petitioner (i.e. the child’s relative) of the next stage – this will be to complete and submit form DS-260.

Step 2) Complete and submit form DS-260 (Immigrant visa electronic application)

The DS-260 will provide the child with the visa they need to enter the United States once their application has been approved.

Step 3) Submit any evidence requested by USCIS

USCIS will also request that you submit all of the evidence needed to prove your relationship with the child who is coming to live with you. Such evidence may include:

  • Proof of the parent-child relationship
  • Proof that you have lived with the child for two years outside of the US
  • Proof of adoption

Once the DS-260 is complete and the evidence requested has been provided, the National Visa Centre handling your case will then consider the overall application. At this stage, they may request additional information and/or evidence to support your case.

If your application is approved, it will then be passed to the US embassy or consulate nearest to where your child lives. The embassy will then take over the process and arrange an interview for you and your child. They may also request that your child has a medical examination.

Step 4) Application decided

Once the embassy or consulate have processed the application in full, they will issue a final decision. If approved, your child will then be able to travel to the US to live with you.

Final Words

Given the importance of securing a child Green Card, both for you and your child, it is essential that you invest the time and resources to ensure the application form is accurate and the evidence provided is complete. A US immigration attorney will be able to review your application prior to submission or handle the whole process for you, giving you the peace of mind that it has the best chance of a positive outcome.

Get In Touch

Some of our Happy Client
  • immigration solicitors near me
  • immigration solicitors near me
  • immigration solicitors near me
  • immigration solicitors near me

Reiss Edwards Awards


Reiss Edwards is absolutely amazing. As a lawyer myself I can categorically say that they know their stuff, gentle, responsive, care about you and not just about the money, very professional.

I mean I can go on and on! The entire team at Reiss Edwards is amazing!

Kiran Sardar

I found Joe very helpful and tremendous patience which is a must in this professional as there are lots of emotions always involved in each and every case.

The way they dealt with my case during COVID19 Situation is highly appreciable. I would definitely recommend Joe D. and Anna F. Anna is an amazing lady, her patience is beyond my words.

Her hard work and professionalism have no boundaries. She is the right person for all type of cases.

Thanks to Anna and Joe for all your support and guidance which helped me fulfill my dream.

I would say Reiss Edwards is lucky to have Joe D. and Anna F. Great job Reiss Edwards.

thanks once again. Anna you’re a Gem and a Star.

Cheyam Shaked

"Anna Foley was the lawyer helping my partner obtain an EEA EFM visa. She was outstanding. Handling the case with constant correspondence over a lengthy, lockdown delayed 7-month application process. Her expert advice guided us successfully through some difficult times as a result of COVID-19. Some of the best service I have received for any service ever! Often replying to emails late at night, offering to send additional correspondence to the home office and going above and beyond in handling our case! Well done and thank you Reiss Edwards and thank you Anna!!".

Isaac .T

"Professional service. I was very impressed with the fact that my ILR application was successful 6 weeks after the submission amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. I also think the portfolio put together by the team at Reiss Edwards has played a big part in the quick turnaround of my application".

Reiss Edwards Reviews


"Andy Tieu is absolutely amazing, as a lawyer myself I can categorically say tha...

Read More

Kiran Sardar

"I found Joe very helpful and tremendous patience which is a must in this profes...

Read More

Cheyam Shaked

"Anna Foley was the lawyer helping my partner obtain an EEA EFM visa. She was ou...

Read More

Isaac .T

"Professional service. I was very impressed with the fact that my ILR applicatio...

Read More
Back to Top